Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-17-2006, 10:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

anybody here a marine biologist or something similar?

hey, like that title says...is there anyone here that is a marine biologist, or something similar? i'm interested in a career w/something to do w/fish, corals..you name it..

thanks
mike

Old 08-18-2006, 01:24 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to MattAquaBio
I'm majoring in it, but not quite yet my friend .

Old 08-18-2006, 02:03 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

lol cool

what all do you need for classes and stuff for it? and what type of job are you gonna get once you're done w/classes?
Old 08-18-2006, 08:05 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Same here. Lol. I'm majoring in it (Bio/Marine Bio). As far as classes, lots of biology and lots of chemistry, along w/ your basic english, math, etc. Marine Bio involves know a lot of the chemical makeup of cells, science of the water itself. That means basic and organic chemistry, as well as regular and micro biology. In my opinion, its these first two years (which I've thankfully just finished) that are the hardest and then you get to the fun parts.

As far as future, I live in a heavily "governmented" area. My plan is to work for the government as a biologist or fisheries biologist. You can scope gov jobs in your area by going to usajobs.gov. I'm sure there are also a lot of private sector/research type jobs available.

HTH

Oh, maybe you can PM Newfound if she doesn't find this thread. She is an oceanographer I believe.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:05 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yep, I am!

My advice would be to get the best general science education you can (including chemistry, physics, ecology and statistics, and I would add in atmospheric science, geology and calculus if you're interested), and when you have choices for additional classes, take classes that interest you or are in a field that you'd like to work in. Try and get as much field and lab experience as you possibly can; that can get you much further in the door than classes.

I am a graduate (PhD) student in oceanography, which is a little different than marine Bio, although many people confuse the two. Marine bio primarily is interested in the animals themselves, their physiology, behavior, etc, while oceanography (and also limnology) looks at how critters interact with their environment (and how the environment shapes the populations of critters). Either field is viable, but beware that the "high profile" jobs that everyone associates with marine bio, like working with whales or dolphins, or shark research etc, are next to impossible to get into because the demand is so high, and there are very few of those jobs.

Other good skills to know, depending on what you're interested in: SCUBA diving, small boat handling (go take the CG safe boating course, it's easy). Computer skills are important, not programming or anything like that, but know Word, Excel, databases like Access are commonly used. A job in fisheries other than a technician will likely require significant analytical math skills including multivariate statistics (Fish Population Dynamics was one of the hardest courses I took in grad school).

My undergrad degree is in Biology, and I have a minor in Earth Science. I also worked in a biotech lab for 2 years after school (slightly unrelated but good general lab experience). I have been in grad school for 4 years now, with another 2 to go.

I hope this helps! Please feel free to PM me (this goes for anyone!) if you want more info.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

wow, thats a lot of classes! lol.

I'm still in high school...just started my senior year...but i guess i kinda missed out on all those science classes...the only science classes iv'e taken in high school is earth science and biology (the only ones required to graduate basically lol). I also got kinda screwed over in math too, because i played baseball for 2 years at high school (not playing this year tho) so that took up 2 of my classes each year.

Man, i really wish they'd just let you take whatever you want and not have to take english and stuff i mean really...when i'm i gonna find a job that requires me to be a shakespear expert or something like that lol.

what other jobs are there that are related to anything to do with fish/aquaria (preferably saltwater)? besides the obvious in the lfs, which i dont really wanna do that forever. Nothin wrong w/it (i actually just applied there) but i just dont see working in retail forever.

thanks all!
Old 08-19-2006, 12:58 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to lyquidphyre
A basic understanding of how to write a paper, for any college student, is essential. Granted, in college they don't train you like they do in AP English (in high school). Shakespeare and all that other stuff is usually for english majors only (or upper electives). The core requirement is basically writing papers.

I'm a biology major and seeing how you are in AZ it might be a little more difficult to find Marine Biology in your state (but I don't know that for a fact). Find out what colleges offer in your area and the best thing you can do is get a major in Biology and go from there. You might take freshmen bio and absolutely hate it or you might want to go a different route with it.

Hey DevilishTurtles- does your school MAKE you have a chemistry minor (with your bio minor)? I finished all my chemistry classes for my minor, and a friend was saying other places don't make you minor in it.

Old 08-19-2006, 01:00 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Lucky for you (and me too!), Biology isn't a heavy math major. My college requires only two math classes and for one of them to be a Statistics class. The other stuff is just frill. Some of it's intereseting, but I don't understand why I have to learn about History or Psychology if I want to major in Biology, but it all ties together in the end.

Your problem with living in Arizona is the lack of Marine waters there (correct me if I'm wrong). Did you check out the website I mentioned? www.usajobs.gov You can check them out just for a general overview of jobs that are available and the requirments, duties, pay, etc. It has helped me to overall get a feel for what I want to do .

HTH

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:02 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

lyquid, no they don't. No way on Earth would I get a minor in Chemistry. That's very odd. My major does require many a chemistry class though. Maybe it's like the same thing but you are getting a minor and I'm not.

Old 08-19-2006, 01:06 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to lyquidphyre
All I had to take was2 semesters of basic chemistry, organic chem 1 and 2, and bio chem and viola, I have a minor!

You only had to take stats? I have to take Cal 1, bah. Only pre-meds can take stats for their math credit.

Closed Thread

Tags
bio, marine

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com