Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-17-2005, 08:05 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have no idea Melody. I have a friend with the same problem. Except the deer keep eating her dogwood trees.

Meredith, sorry I hijacked your thread.

Old 02-17-2005, 08:24 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Im to balme too... sorry

Old 02-18-2005, 12:58 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

No worries! We have deer too. They haven't touched the roses yet but they ate all of my columbine last year. Probably the best deer deterrent is dogs. We dont have any buy my neighbors do.
So prune now? How far?
Old 02-18-2005, 01:07 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I prune about half way down. always cut about 1/2 inch above a joint.
cut out any crossing branches and the desired shape is a cone... empty in the middle... Thats the way its "supposed" to be... although NONE of my roses look that way... I just make sure no shoot touches another, and none cross.

You can cut all the way back, with only about 3 or 4 inches of stem sticking out, but you wont get a very big plant. Once you get good growth prune again. cut the ends of the shoots off right above the first set of leaves that have a set of five... did that make sense? The link I gave you will tell you I believe. all roses have different requirements, so the info Im giving is kinda general... oh yes... feed them now...I think...
Old 02-18-2005, 08:19 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to mitche8359
I've only kept the tea hybrids so that's what my comments pertain to. I've always pruned back the canes in the fall after the last flowering. I've never had an problems doing so. I also prune back the canes after each flowering to keep the rose bush a bush and not a monster. One of my mother's bushes gets to be about 5' tall every summer and it's just outlandish.

As far as deer, they eat my berry canes. I put up netting a couple years ago and they've left it alone. Netting fell down but they still leave the berries alone.

55 gal fresh - planted 2wpg ~ Eheim eco filter ~ south american theme
java moss - misc anubia - amazon sword - Red rubin sword - tennellus chain swords
4 ottos, 1 pleco, 3 high fin white tetras, 3 Black Phantom Tetras, 1 high fin black tetra, 1 black tetra, 2 diamond tetras, 3 yoyos

Join the Ohio Regional Forum and share information with local enthusiasts
Vote for Aquarium Advice Today
Old 02-18-2005, 10:07 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

I've lived in Michigan all my life and my father, and my grandparents along with aunts and uncles always pruned in the fall.
We also cover them for the winter and then take off the covers mid-April.
I have always cut them way, way down and they grow back with a vengeance. I inherited about 4 bushes at the house I bought and after I prune them they grow to about 5 feet every year.
HTH
Old 02-18-2005, 11:17 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to SerLunchbox Send a message via AIM to SerLunchbox Send a message via MSN to SerLunchbox Send a message via Yahoo to SerLunchbox
Quote:
Probably the best deer deterrent is dogs
I was thinking more of a shotgun ... But then again i would have deer in my freezer at that point. mmmmmm deer. As for them eating the flowers, it could be bacuse certain types of rose petals are edible to humans. They have a very potent perfumey flavor to them. So that might be the draw ... don't attempt to eat them if you don't know if it is the edible species of the rose or not though ... that can get dangerous

Tankless ... for now ... until i find what i really want (and what the wife lets me get!)
Old 02-20-2005, 08:39 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

WELL, it appears I dont have to worry about pruning them after all. My landlord's son came and de-mossed the roof, and oh by the way I am going to trim the roses too. I know I should be grateful, less work for me, but I was really looking forward to doing it myself. They didn't tell me this was going to be done, and now I feel like, whats next?? If they are going to take over the yard work, I would like some notice so I don't go out there and break my back only to have them come in and redo everything. Am I freaking out over nothing?
Old 02-21-2005, 10:59 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Its OK... Just go out there and feed the roses. Osomocoat makes a WONDERFUL rose food. From here on out, you can take good care of them. Make sure you dont water the leaves, Just at the base of the plant. Keep any dead leaves up away from the plant. When you do water, water good and deep. It encourages deep roots. You can spray for aphids, but warm soapy water works well also. you just have to reapply everytime it rains. so its a pain in the butt.
and ask your landlord if you can take over the roses from here. He may have been worried that you wouldnt do it.
also water in the morning. Watering at night and you can get mildew. Some roses are more apt to get it then others. My Mr. Lincolen rose will get powdery mildew if I THINK aobut watering it in the evening... My Queen Elizabeth rose is fine... so you never know. Good Luck and post us some pics when you get some flowers.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:08 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

For the record, I cut back to 12" every fall before I cover them for the winter.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com