Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-17-2005, 02:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Anybody know about roses?

Its not even march yet, and due to our unusually beautiful weather we have been having, my roses are starting to get the little new leaf things already. Should I prune them now, or just leave them?

Old 02-17-2005, 03:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to mitche8359
What type of rose and how tall are they? Ideally, the canes should have been cut back to about 12" above ground last fall at least for tea hybrids.

55 gal fresh - planted 2wpg ~ Eheim eco filter ~ south american theme
java moss - misc anubia - amazon sword - Red rubin sword - tennellus chain swords
4 ottos, 1 pleco, 3 high fin white tetras, 3 Black Phantom Tetras, 1 high fin black tetra, 1 black tetra, 2 diamond tetras, 3 yoyos

Join the Ohio Regional Forum and share information with local enthusiasts
Vote for Aquarium Advice Today
Old 02-17-2005, 05:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to flipz
Wrong freakin thread!!

hahah
Old 02-17-2005, 05:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

There are three groups. There is one of about 20 Hybrid Teas, They are probably between 2 and 4 feet high. Another group of maybe 15 floibunda, around two or three feet high. And the last group I am not sure what kind they are. The bushes are low to the ground maybe a foot high, smallish flowers with a single row of petals. I think the flowers grow in groups but I don't remember. So Should I just leave the bushes alone and cut them back in the fall?
Old 02-17-2005, 05:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm no rose expert but, I'd let them alone til fall. My rose leaves are budding right now too.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

NEVER prune in the fall!!!!! Pile mulch, leaves & shreaded newspaper around the union (the ball looking thing right above the ground) You can prune on Presidents Day. Pruning will encourage new growth, and doing it in the still warm temps will cause the plant to start growing before the first frost. Add some freezing temps and you just killed the plant.

Its ok to prune now.

http://www.jacksonandperkins.com/cgi...intercare.html
Old 02-17-2005, 07:34 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I stand corrected.
My father raised beautiful roses and always pruned in the fall. So this is how I was taught. I cut mine way back every fall and they come back strong every spring.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:39 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluff
I stand corrected.
My father raised beautiful roses and always pruned in the fall. So this is how I was taught. I cut mine way back every fall and they come back strong every spring.
Where did you grow up? I grew up in Northern CA, and my Grandmother pruned in the fall also. But it was a very mild temp winter. Merideth is in Washington state and I think probably much colder temps then what we even have here. I do think alot depends on the hardiness of that plant. How healthy are they. so forth and so on...
If pruning in the fall works for you cool! Maybe I'll try it with one of my plants and see what happens.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:45 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I grew up in Maryland. Not far from where I am now. Just for fun, here are some pics of my roses from this past summer.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:53 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

any suggestions on how to keep the FREAKIN deer from eating them? I found out this year that roses are like deer candy. Im going to be camped out in my back yard this summer with a shotgun!

I have a herd of about 10-12 does and an AMAZING buck that I USED to feed. I would like for them not to come so close to the house now. I tried soap, they ate it, my hubby peed around them (someone said they dont like human urine) hair clippings. NOTHING worked... ARGH!!!!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com