Anybody know anything about snakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

glstine

Aquarium Advice Activist
I found this snake under a rock around my pond. Was wondering what kind it is. Appears to be harmless but would like to know for sure.

Attachments

• dsc00462x.jpg
    dsc00462x.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 73
You think? I've never seen one like this before. We just moved and have a large pasture, with a large pond, right behind us so could just be a different variety than I'm used to seeing.

Pretty cool looking snake, would like it to hang around if it's not a problem.

When I found a snake I didn't recognize I took a picture like you did and then google searched my state and "snake pictures" until I found a good site to help me id it.

About how big is it?

Safe but mean, right? I had a baby in my house some time ago. Put in a 5g bucket and he tried a number of times to strike - from in the bucket - 18 inches deep. Mine, was of course in the east (Maryland) and was more greyish colored, and mean.

lol I had one Ray that was the complete opposite. Depends on the snake. Some are more ornery than others.

I would imagine trapping any wild animal will provoke a defensive reaction.

Well I looked at www.texassnakes.net and it appears to be a buttermilk racer (never heard of it) which is non venomous so looks like he/she can hang around as long as it wants, really a cool looking snake.

oscarbreeder said:
All snakes are gross.
Just my two cents..lol

Hardly....but the um....fecal matter...left behind by a watersnake sure is....I bred a few about 10 years ago, and I still have nightmares about cleaning up after them.

Since you're in the Houston area I'd definitely say Nerodia fasciata confluens, the Broad Banded Water Snake. These are frequently mistaken for Copperheads and/or Cottonmouths (both poisonous). Like almost all Nerodia species, the Broad Banded is generally quick to bite and often liberally spreads the contents of its cloaca over anybody who is trying to handle it.

Most individuals are obnoxious but definitely non-poisonous. The one you found is a particularly pretty one.

-Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom