Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-22-2011, 04:15 PM   #91
Aquarium Advice Addict

i think they are using seeded media. they could even use sand and stuff from their own tanks also to help out

Old 08-22-2011, 04:20 PM   #92

Seeded media still wouldn't solve the bioload they are dealing with in the NY tank. These tanks have no live rock, moving used sand or other substrate only stirs detritus and adversely effects parameters. The filters below all appeared mechanical, no fuge that I could see. Even if all the media from the filters was seeded, it would not negate the bioload. There is simply no excuse for the phone booth tank being filled with tangs and foxface rabbitfish. The bioload in the mob tank was probably acceptable provided they had a ton of seeded media.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:22 PM   #93
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishAvenger View Post
Seeded media still wouldn't solve the bioload they are dealing with. These tanks have no live rock, moving used sand or other substrate only stirs detritus and adversely effects parameters. The filters below all appeared mechanical, no fuge that I could see. Even if all the media from the filters was seeded, it would not negate the bioload. There is simply no excuse for the phone booth tank being filled with tangs and foxface rabbitfish.
they can preseed their fake coral which is from sig coral. (know the owners). and it dont really affect parameters. they can use polyfilters to remove ammo. and like said its for looks the people paying dont care.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:23 PM   #94
Aquarium Advice Addict

I love you
You love me
We're a happy family
With a great big hug
And a kiss from me to you
Won't you say you love me too?

Just felt the need to have a little Barney thrown into the mix to calm the waters.....
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:29 PM   #95
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaB View Post
I love you
You love me
We're a happy family
With a great big hug
And a kiss from me to you
Won't you say you love me too?

Just felt the need to have a little Barney thrown into the mix to calm the waters.....
haha. ohh i remember that show
Old 08-22-2011, 04:41 PM   #96
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't remember the show necessarily but I just remember how everybody wanted to kill Barney..... or at the very least disembowel him.....

Ok, now that we're all happy happy joy joy again..... back to topic.

But remember the First Commandment of Public Forums:

Thou shalt agree to disagree in a peaceable and respectful manner.....
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:57 PM   #97
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to George9
I missed the premiere, now I'm mad
Old 08-22-2011, 06:08 PM   #98
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

If you're going to talk about cycling, do it elsewhere. This thread is getting tremendously off topic and will be locked if it keeps headed the way it is.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:10 PM   #99
AA Team Emeritus

I didn't think much of the first two episodes other than watching for the actual building processes. I think a greater reference to husbandry guidelines would offer insight as to how aquarium ecosystems function and the challenges aquarists face in keeping that environment stable. Perhaps it's the fish nerd in me, but I don't find it entertaining in seeing bread and butter fish in above-average displays, mishandled animals for tv personality purposes, nor misleading information. I'm sure much of the show is scripted along with providing outtakes to make the show more appealing to a broader community, but I think they can offer a higher grade of aquarium dynamics and still pull in ratings (what appeals to professional aquarists and fish nerds alike would appeal to the general public). In contrast, their craftsmanship is phenomenal and well worth the cost. They most likely contract out the maintenance side just like any other venture in the same market, using pre-seeded material, chemical inibitors, and/or massive water changes.
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:59 AM   #100
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

i just picked up a copy of Tropical Fish magazine that has an interview with the brothers into both their business and the show, and ill be the first to admit that i have a very different and respectable mindset towards them now. Anybody who questions their ethics or quality should read this article. They are apparently a very well-established and widely known company, even overseas. Also from everything ive read and see, they are unbelievably first class.. guess the fault lies strictly with how these builds are shown and presented across the tv to us viewers. But none the less i will be following along with this show to see some different builds

huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com