Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-23-2011, 05:48 PM   #111
Aquarium Advice Addict

The Learning Channel shows "Kate Plus Eight" and "19 Kids and Counting". Should any of us really expect educational programming from a network owned by the same company? Just sayin'.

severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:34 PM   #112
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by severum mama
The Learning Channel shows "Kate Plus Eight" and "19 Kids and Counting". Should any of us really expect educational programming from a network owned by the same company? Just sayin'.
I love your thinking!! Cant honestly expect much

huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:56 PM   #113
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaB View Post
You mean you're not a fan of "Hillbilly Handfishin'"? *Gasp*
Sure I am, my favorite part is after they catch a fish and you see their hands. How many fingers do you have to loose before you take a hint.
But hey, to each their own.
I think pumpkin chucking is kind of silly too. But it takes some smarts to build a pumpkin catapult.

Besides, I didn't hate "Tanked", there are aspects that I think could be better. But I haven't written it off completely. I'm in a wait and see mode, it may get better as time passes. The first few episodes have to be a bit over the top to grab an audience. They may get more content and less glitz in each episode as time goes on.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:40 AM   #114
Aquarium Advice Addict

Very good points......
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:02 AM   #115
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaB View Post
If the magazine article shows that they are that well respected (haven't read it yet but plan to), perhaps it's just another case of a tv station editing and fine-tuning a show to represent only what the channel wants to represent.
Of course it is... Its entertainment, the majority of the population would turn the channel if they spent the whole time talking about filtration, cycling, and acclimation. Come on its a hour long show, and more like 40 minutes. How much can we expect them to talk about? They edit out 99.999% of what they are actually doing. Believe it or not the majority of the viewers don’t care about the nitrogen cycle etc.

And I think with a business like they have its a given they are respected and know what they are doing. How many of these tanks do we think they could continue to build if all the fish were dead in a weak because of improper care, stocking, design, or preparation...
Old 08-27-2011, 10:05 AM   #116
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

If you watched last night, they did talk a lot about filtration, acclimation, and also warned one customer not to overfeed.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:32 PM   #117
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516
If you watched last night, they did talk a lot about filtration, acclimation, and also warned one customer not to overfeed.
Yeah, I really liked that. But then again, for the juke box tank, they said they were only going to put in small fish, so they decided on a powder blue tang LOLOL
Old 08-27-2011, 01:52 PM   #118
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yea i taped it, started watchin it nd it wasnt new. This was on friday the 26th what gives? Lol o well new one next friday. The mob tank is so dumb(my opinion) i mean really... O well cant wait to see 'em do a freshwater!
Old 08-27-2011, 05:30 PM   #119
Aquarium Advice Activist

It's too bad because this show could be really cool. When they start talking about their marriage or whatever else, they loose me. I think they could make the show entertaining (loose the reality show crap) and yet still appeal to the aquarist demographic somehow.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:31 PM   #120
Aquarium Advice Freak

I for one would like to see MUCH less of the fake drama and hystrionics. The whole "oops, we made the access openings at the top of the shark tank too small, so now we have to put the shrieking woman inside to place the decorations" charade was a joke. Enhanced by someone making the colossal "mistake" of putting 20 sharks in the tank a day earlier than they were supposed to. PLEASE!

They must have a non-chunky kid on their staff that normally does that type of work. But apparently the TV-viewing public needs to be fed stereotypes to be entertained. I was further bored by the whole "you must find a way to spend more time with your family" routine. I hope they drop that, or I will be fast-forwarding thru it.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com