Anybody watch tanked tonight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had 100 lbs of live rock in a 55 gallon tank and it still took 2 weeks to cycle. So your telling me all the people on this site who promote fishless cycling are wrong? What's wrong with pure ammonia? What's wrong with fresh raw shrimp? At no point did I advise tossing a piece of frozen coconut shrimp in a tank.

ive cycled all my sw tanks with damsels. and not really you dont water change damsels are the little roachs of the sw world.ive seen them be out of water for a hour and be put back in water and swim around

I had 100 lbs of live rock in a 55 gallon tank and it still took 2 weeks to cycle. So your telling me all the people on this site who promote fishless cycling are wrong? What's wrong with pure ammonia? What's wrong with fresh raw shrimp? At no point did I advise tossing a piece of frozen coconut shrimp in a tank.

did you use a bacteria source such as nitromax or activate from aqualife? did you have another source of seeded material in you filtration? and not wrong i just dont believe in that and never will. and that shrimp you still dont know where its been and pure ammo ok could have accidently had some sort of copper put in it. things happen

Just because you can do it, doesn't make it right. You can cycle without them just fine. You don't have to torture a fish, and then go through the hassle of removing it if you plan on keeping peaceful fish.

So even in the face of all the successful cycling done on here without damsels you maintain this outdated cruel method superior? I have tried every bottled and cycle assistance product out there, the effects are minimal, if any at all.

Just because you can do it, doesn't make it right. You can cycle without them just fine. You don't have to torture a fish, and then go through the hassle of removing it if you plan on keeping peaceful fish.
id still rather use something thats meant for a fish tank.

So even in the face of all the successful cycling done on here without damsels you maintain this outdated cruel method superior? I have tried every bottled and cycle assistance product out there, the effects are minimal, if any at all.
yes actually i do. and doubt youve tried every bottle. have you even heard of activate? brand new and ive used it. i was actually on the test team for it

also just so you know my list of tanks at the bottom is about 1/25th of what ive had over the years.

Ok, I'm not telling you that your method will not work. I'm telling you it is both dated, and cruel. Show me a tank that crashed because of a fishless cycle. If you chose to blow money on products claiming to cheat nature that's your business. But don't discourage those that chose to humanly cycle a tank and don't mind being patient.

Ok, I'm not telling you that your method will not work. I'm telling you it is both dated, and cruel. Show me a tank that crashed because of a fishless cycle. If you chose to blow money on products claiming to cheat nature that's your business. But don't discourage those that chose to humanly cycle a tank and don't mind being patient.

ive had two crash that way. also had a customers at work via ammo method. and i tested it for the company. im pretty sure i KNOW it works. all my tanks below have used activate. very sensitive fish in all of them

Either or, both fish-in, fishless or any other cycling method of your preferred choice can be done. Whether you think it's ethical, cruel or not is all up to you. But when comparing fish to humans is another topic on its own.

Getting back on topic, the reason they can probably cram all those fish in there at once is because they are using seeded media. Many public aquariums do that.

Seeded media still wouldn't solve the bioload they are dealing with in the NY tank. These tanks have no live rock, moving used sand or other substrate only stirs detritus and adversely effects parameters. The filters below all appeared mechanical, no fuge that I could see. Even if all the media from the filters was seeded, it would not negate the bioload. There is simply no excuse for the phone booth tank being filled with tangs and foxface rabbitfish. The bioload in the mob tank was probably acceptable provided they had a ton of seeded media.

Seeded media still wouldn't solve the bioload they are dealing with. These tanks have no live rock, moving used sand or other substrate only stirs detritus and adversely effects parameters. The filters below all appeared mechanical, no fuge that I could see. Even if all the media from the filters was seeded, it would not negate the bioload. There is simply no excuse for the phone booth tank being filled with tangs and foxface rabbitfish.
they can preseed their fake coral which is from sig coral. (know the owners). and it dont really affect parameters. they can use polyfilters to remove ammo. and like said its for looks the people paying dont care.

I love you
You love me
We're a happy family
With a great big hug
And a kiss from me to you
Won't you say you love me too?

Just felt the need to have a little Barney thrown into the mix to calm the waters..... :whistle:

I don't remember the show necessarily but I just remember how everybody wanted to kill Barney..... or at the very least disembowel him.....

Ok, now that we're all happy happy joy joy again..... back to topic.

But remember the First Commandment of Public Forums:

Thou shalt agree to disagree in a peaceable and respectful manner..... :D

I didn't think much of the first two episodes other than watching for the actual building processes. I think a greater reference to husbandry guidelines would offer insight as to how aquarium ecosystems function and the challenges aquarists face in keeping that environment stable. Perhaps it's the fish nerd in me, but I don't find it entertaining in seeing bread and butter fish in above-average displays, mishandled animals for tv personality purposes, nor misleading information. I'm sure much of the show is scripted along with providing outtakes to make the show more appealing to a broader community, but I think they can offer a higher grade of aquarium dynamics and still pull in ratings (what appeals to professional aquarists and fish nerds alike would appeal to the general public). In contrast, their craftsmanship is phenomenal and well worth the cost. They most likely contract out the maintenance side just like any other venture in the same market, using pre-seeded material, chemical inibitors, and/or massive water changes.

i just picked up a copy of Tropical Fish magazine that has an interview with the brothers into both their business and the show, and ill be the first to admit that i have a very different and respectable mindset towards them now. Anybody who questions their ethics or quality should read this article. They are apparently a very well-established and widely known company, even overseas. Also from everything ive read and see, they are unbelievably first class.. guess the fault lies strictly with how these builds are shown and presented across the tv to us viewers. But none the less i will be following along with this show to see some different builds:)

Back
Top Bottom