Anybody watch tanked tonight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LyndaB said:
I love you
You love me
We're a happy family
With a great big hug
And a kiss from me to you
Won't you say you love me too?

Just felt the need to have a little Barney thrown into the mix to calm the waters..... :whistle:

Haha. That was pretty far out there. But I like your thinking.

I hope they do a behind the scenes or maybe a little trivia segment on the technical parts to fish keeping. Maybe that would quell some of the worries of all the hobbyists out there. I read that it was only a six part series and we are two episodes down... Hoping I like the overall show. I'm still undecided.

i just picked up a copy of Tropical Fish magazine that has an interview with the brothers into both their business and the show, and ill be the first to admit that i have a very different and respectable mindset towards them now. Anybody who questions their ethics or quality should read this article. They are apparently a very well-established and widely known company, even overseas. Also from everything ive read and see, they are unbelievably first class.. guess the fault lies strictly with how these builds are shown and presented across the tv to us viewers. But none the less i will be following along with this show to see some different builds:)
I completely agree with rookie and mac. You both stated my feelings well.
Thanks Huma for posting this. I will try to read the article. :)
Personally, I liked the show. I will continue to watch it. I do not expect education about the HOWs of fishkeeping while watching it and the rest seems to up to your personal preference.

If the magazine article shows that they are that well respected (haven't read it yet but plan to), perhaps it's just another case of a tv station editing and fine-tuning a show to represent only what the channel wants to represent.

You hit the nail on the head, the show is fairly scripted and really comes down to what producers think will keep ratings up. The show shares similarities with American Chopper, but with aquariums. The company is very well respected for their work and is top-notch, unfortunately it got lost in the first two episodes by "showmanship." I'd love to see them move to a more educated audience and add some substance or at least a more in-depth process as to the actual tank construction.

On the topic of the long horn cowfish...made me feel a little bit better when they tossed the 'toxic' fish into the car tank...jeez I have been losing sleep at night worrying if he is gonna nuke my mushrooms let alone tangs, snowflake eels, etc in the car tank. So funny how they portray the marine fish hobby but the tanks are amazing. Have to admit I liked the website more since I didn't have to listen to them talk.

For me the bottom line is that I expected more from an Animal Planet show. The show is called "Tanked" but a little more about fish on "Animal Planet", isn't an unrealistic expectation.
But I agree the tanks are cool. The phone booth tank though, not so cool for all those fish.

The Learning Channel shows "Kate Plus Eight" and "19 Kids and Counting". Should any of us really expect educational programming from a network owned by the same company? Just sayin'. ;)

severum mama said:
The Learning Channel shows "Kate Plus Eight" and "19 Kids and Counting". Should any of us really expect educational programming from a network owned by the same company? Just sayin'. ;)

I love your thinking!! Cant honestly expect much

You mean you're not a fan of "Hillbilly Handfishin'"? *Gasp* :eek:

Sure I am, my favorite part is after they catch a fish and you see their hands. How many fingers do you have to loose before you take a hint.
But hey, to each their own.
I think pumpkin chucking is kind of silly too. But it takes some smarts to build a pumpkin catapult.

Besides, I didn't hate "Tanked", there are aspects that I think could be better. But I haven't written it off completely. I'm in a wait and see mode, it may get better as time passes. The first few episodes have to be a bit over the top to grab an audience. They may get more content and less glitz in each episode as time goes on.

If the magazine article shows that they are that well respected (haven't read it yet but plan to), perhaps it's just another case of a tv station editing and fine-tuning a show to represent only what the channel wants to represent.

Of course it is... Its entertainment, the majority of the population would turn the channel if they spent the whole time talking about filtration, cycling, and acclimation. Come on its a hour long show, and more like 40 minutes. How much can we expect them to talk about? They edit out 99.999% of what they are actually doing. Believe it or not the majority of the viewers don’t care about the nitrogen cycle etc.

And I think with a business like they have its a given they are respected and know what they are doing. How many of these tanks do we think they could continue to build if all the fish were dead in a weak because of improper care, stocking, design, or preparation...

mfdrookie516 said:
If you watched last night, they did talk a lot about filtration, acclimation, and also warned one customer not to overfeed.

Yeah, I really liked that. But then again, for the juke box tank, they said they were only going to put in small fish, so they decided on a powder blue tang LOLOL

Yea i taped it, started watchin it nd it wasnt new. This was on friday the 26th what gives? Lol o well new one next friday. The mob tank is so dumb(my opinion) i mean really... O well cant wait to see 'em do a freshwater!

It's too bad because this show could be really cool. When they start talking about their marriage or whatever else, they loose me. I think they could make the show entertaining (loose the reality show crap) and yet still appeal to the aquarist demographic somehow.

I for one would like to see MUCH less of the fake drama and hystrionics. The whole "oops, we made the access openings at the top of the shark tank too small, so now we have to put the shrieking woman inside to place the decorations" charade was a joke. Enhanced by someone making the colossal "mistake" of putting 20 sharks in the tank a day earlier than they were supposed to. PLEASE!

They must have a non-chunky kid on their staff that normally does that type of work. But apparently the TV-viewing public needs to be fed stereotypes to be entertained. I was further bored by the whole "you must find a way to spend more time with your family" routine. I hope they drop that, or I will be fast-forwarding thru it.

Back
Top Bottom