Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-21-2011, 12:51 PM   #61
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by Rinzy View Post
The point is that this is on animal planet - which is usually pretty good about going over the care and maintenance of animals. They barely even talk about the fish and make it seem like aquarium keeping is as easy as just adding water. I've watched animal planet for years and they used to have great programming but it looks like they are getting sucked into crappy reality television like everyone else. The show seems like it's main focus is on the employees (who aren't that funny or interesting for that matter) rather than the animals involved - and being animal planet, the viewers would expect this. And while you say it is the same with choppers and building code - most people that see those shows and decide " wow, I want to buy a motorcycle!" obviously they have to learn to operate and get a licence to be approved to even ride one. Main point is, this show is involving live animals and unfortunatly, people aren't required to get a licence or even learn how to care for these animals before they decide " I can dump water in a tank and throw fish in, that looks easy"
Well said, the show is based on poorly scripted drama between coworkers. I can't begin to count the number of shows on animal planet that stress the proper care and handling of animals, whether the animal in question is a dog, cat, bird, but for some reason fish are an exception to that rule.

It's been real AA.
Purevil21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:54 PM   #62
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion
But it's a reality show... not an educational show. If it were labeled as educational, I would 100% be in agreement with you all. But it's not. They don't talk like it's easy, I never once heard anything that even remotely sounded like that. heck, they even went out of their way to explain a qt system. I'll compare again... American Choppers makes building a bike look easy. Is it? Well, for some, I'm sure it is. I'll say it as many times as I need to, you guys are completely missing the point of this show. If you don't want to watch it, don't... but to say that it's misleading, or bad for the hobby is just plain incorrect. They never claim that this is how you set up tanks. They never claim that this is all you have to do.

If the overstocking thing is what gets you... watch Blues Clues some time. They have a goldfish in a bowl. I dont see anyone complaining about that.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:58 PM   #63
Aquarium Advice Addict
I agree. This show is supposed to be to show you these crazy tanks that they create, and that's what they do. The people there annoy me with their stupid "humor", and they do overstock etc, but they're not doing the show to tell you how to properly take care of fish. I will not anticipate every Friday to see a new episode, but if it's on, I might watch it. There.
slitherbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:01 PM   #64
come get me tang police!

It's funny that everyone expects this show to preach proper fishkeeping techniques.

Here ya go, linked on the main page of the "Tanked" website http://animal.discovery.com/tv/tanked/

Animal Planet :: Fish Guide -- Set Up & Stocking
Dont Forget to Join my FREE weekly Plant Giveaway.
Click Here!
jetajockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:06 PM   #65
Aquarium Advice Addict
I agree with rookie. I think it just entertainment. It would irresponsible for you or I to watch this show and then go and build the same tank the same way. These guys do this for a living. Just like if you would just go build a chopper because jr did it without problems or ty built a house in 24 hrs.

When its your job to build and maintain tanks it is very different than you maintaining your tank at home. I help a friend with his maintence company and go to the hospital and do maintence on 50 100g tanks in 3 hours. The time to talk and explain is not there. And not exciting to general public. I'm sure the motorcycle forums blew up when american chopper came on saying it cant be done or its not that easy.
Bige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:13 PM   #66
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I agree with rookie as well, the show is not at all meant to showcase proper fishkeeping technique, if you watch a carshow they don't try to teach you how to build the car they show off cool things they've built that you like to look at, this is the same thing. They aren't trying to teach people how to successfully keep fish, they are showcasing their ability to imagine and create beautiful tanks that anyone, even a non-aquarist can see and admire, if someone who doesn't keep fish sees this show and gets a tank without doing research thinking it's easy it's not the shows fault, anymore than it's my fault that a friend saw my tank and didn't ask how much work goes into a tank and killed off $40 worth of fish in a week. They have a show based on ENTERTAINMENT not EDUCATION.
Big-j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:20 PM   #67
Aquarium Advice Addict
I agree with the following posts.

Yes, it may upset you if they don't show properly established tanks or don't seem to give a thought on cycling, but this show was created for the purpose of ENTERTAINMENT and entertainment only. Yes they do throw in a few fish facts here and there, but overall it's to show you all the possibilities of crazy fish tanks, a little bit of drama and family which everyone loves, and overall to show you that anything is possible in this hobby.
"If you're not making mistakes, then you're not doing anything. I'm positive that a doer makes mistakes."
--John Wooden
bruinsbro1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:32 PM   #68
Aquarium Advice Activist
Heh, I poked around at that link jeta provided. A 12 step guide that makes it clear this hobby takes time, patience, and frankly, money. The imply that they support a fishless cycle, by saying it will take nearly 4 weeks to get fish while you wait for the nitrogen cycle, but they also suggest a slow and steady growth of the tank for a fish in cycle as well. Seriously folks. It's a show, and the stupid scripted drama aside, shows lovely fish and spiftastic tanks.
10 green neon tetras, 6 pseudomugil gertrudae, 4 otos, 3 corys & 6 betta imbellis' in a 20g planted tank.

-Mac- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:35 PM   #69
Aquarium Advice FINatic
i guess my coffee table aquarium isn't very unique. lol i liked the show and their web site is amazing.
jpchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:59 AM   #70
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
The only thing i was trying to point out is there are ALOT of money-wasting mistakes in this hobby that can slip by the unknowing person. i understand its a mainstream media show and its meant for entertainment,but its not comparative to a bike building show. Any person with common sense knows they cant jump online and buy the parts to a chopper and build it in a spare room, thats deadly and wastes money. What alot of people dont realize is that in order to do some of the things they do on this show, takes ALOT of knowledge and money.... just saying its alot easier for people to be mislead in that direction. i def dont expect them to preach about fishless cycling or proper stocking in every episode, that would get annoying, but should atleast bring it into the spotlight, not just toss up a internet page and a quick breathless mention.

my 125g Sw...Round 2!http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...220171-33.html
ever see someone cut a 125g in half??
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com