Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-10-2007, 12:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Anyone been to London?

I will be visiting there for a long Labor Day weekend and I'm wondering if any of you have been and what your thoughts are on what to see (besides Big Ben/Parliament!). Does London have an aquarium??

LondonGhoti would truly appreciate feedback!

EDIT: Yes, I have discovered London does in fact have an aquarium ("one of the largest in Europe" the website says). So now am even more totally excited to cross the Pond to see pond, sea, ocean, river, and other fish. Woohooo!

Old 08-10-2007, 06:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

My parents went there a few years ago and got some fantastic pictures of the city from the Milleniumm Wheel.

They also enjoyed the Tower of London tour very much- especially the crown jewel exhibit and the resident ravens (along with their legend).

Old 08-11-2007, 04:02 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to cinnastix911 Send a message via MSN to cinnastix911
I went to london last summer with my mom. Completely amazing. Make time to go around Piccadilly and try to catch one of the old time puppet shows. My mom was actually "attacked" by a comedian type person. She tried giving him a wedgie- but alas there was no underwear...

Also goto where all the british actors have put there hands/feet in cement (same area if I remember) and buy tickets to a play. We really liked their STOMP! And if you want to bring back sports paraphernalia for anyone there is a 3 story sports shop called White Lilies along the main strip (in Piccadilly) by some horses.

Hope you have tons of fun.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:03 AM   #4

My grandmother has gone every year for the last 15 years and still enjoys it as much as the first time, so every bit of London sounds amazing.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:32 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to WaterPond Send a message via Yahoo to WaterPond
i've always wanted to go, my pareant promised me a trip to europe before i graduate highschool.

Have an awsome time! and the most inportant thing and the golden rule here on AA, take lotza pics.

Canadian Aquarium Auction!
WaterPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:19 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I was there a few times when I lived in Germany. Try the Tower of London, the wax museum, Hyde's Park and Buckingham Palace....Remember, they drive on the wrong side of the road!! Lol!

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:22 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was there in 2005. As others have said, worthy sights include: Tower of London, the Ferris wheel LondonEye, London Aquarium, Picadilly Circle, Buckingham' Palace area, Museum of London, the parc behind Downing street, Kensington Gardens, Westminster Abbey, accross the street from "Big Ben" and the British Parliament buildings, London zoo. There is so much, much more to see!! Make sure to bring lots of films/memory cards!!!

Don't be affraid to walk around, out of the usual tourist areas!

By the way, the aquarium is accross the bridge from Big Ben. When you are near the bridge, going "HOOO.... HAAAA...." at Big Ben, look accross the river. You will see the Ferris wheel. The aquarium is close to it. Just cross the bridge, turn to your left. Follow the river and the entrance to the aquarium will be on your right hand side. It is fabulous!! You will need a rubber band to keep your jaw shut. When we were there, they were building octopus tanks connected with a glass tube. Should be very interesting to see. Also, do not miss the petting area with the manta rays. Very neat and they are very friendly!

Also, if you like flee market shopping, you have to go to Camden Town, Norht of London. The tube (Northern Line) will bring you right up there.... You can spend hours in there! When coming out of the flee market, turn right instead of turning left (to return to the tube) and there is another area, on the other side of the small river. They have more small shops, stands... Its really a neat area!! I'm looking forward returning there soon!

Have a safe trip, relax and enjoy yourself!!

HTH

Vote Here for Aquarium Advice
Serge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:24 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hooray! Thanks for all of the responses. I am staying with a friend who actually lives in London so I'm hoping for the inside tour. One thing I do want to see is George Harrison's castle, which is outside of London in Oxfordshire. Think that would be a day trip and you can take pics from outside the gates. I don't think his widow lives there anymore, but not sure. And Savile Row, where Apple used to be. (big Beatles fan here)

My friend says Camden is "the heart of cool" and has a famous Jazz Cafe, so I know we are for sure going up there! And I've already insisted on seeing the aquarium. I'm bummed, though, that Big Ben will not be bing-bonging while I'm there. They're doing maintenance.

Anyway, thanks a bunch. Any UKers on here want to give me some insider suggestions?
Old 08-14-2007, 03:43 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've been, and was glad to leave!!!!

To someone outside the UK, it may seem fascinating on the surface, but in reality, it's no better than any other major city around the world, one example is the recent attempt at the bombing of a nightclub...

Give me a narrowboat on the canal anyday....
Old 08-14-2007, 04:02 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think London was amazing. My favorite city. Make sure when you're in the UK to check out all the castles.

Marconis is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com