Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-28-2014, 09:02 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Anyone else in the hobby alone?

I'm getting a bit fed up by the fact that no one gives a darn about what I'm doing.

My Dad and Sister pretty much couldn't care less about it and my Mum downright hates it.

I'm 99% sure that if I went away for a weekend or something my fish would get flushed.

Literally any time I do a water change, clean a canister, go out to the fish shop or google anything about fish all I get is complaints from people telling me how pointless everything I do is.

And on top of this, all three of them spend at LEAST half an hour a day checking out my tank and trying to talk to me about it..

Anyways, I'm pissed off.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 09-28-2014, 09:12 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I care. Want a hug? I hear you though.. my gf is always saying I should get rid of the tanks.. gee if you haven't noticed o kind of like the tanks, they kind of make me happy, i just put all this time and money into them for my health...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 09-28-2014, 09:43 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

So, if they spend a half hour a day looking at it and talking about it, they are clearly interested. At least in a casual way. This hobby isn't for everyone, and sometimes it is difficult to articulate the allure.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:48 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

My grown children could are less about my fish, but I have 2 grandkids that are kind of into the tanks. Maybe some day they will have fish. But mainly I enjoy working with the tanks and fish, seeing what makes them thrive and feel comfortable in their environment. So if you get happiness and satisfaction in the hobby, it's a good thing and you feel proud and a sense of accomplishment.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 09-28-2014, 10:16 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like you're having a bad day?
I'm alone in this as well, wife couldn't care, well she looks at the fish once a month and tells me how "I" don't care about my fish...what?!
When I ask why, she tells me my fish don't look happy because they don't have a pretty decoration like a diver with bubbles coming out or a sunken ship etc.
So yes, I'm alone in this too!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 09-28-2014, 10:21 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

So I've just finished writing my CV for a job in Dobbies (one of my LFS's) and my mum decided to read it over.

I ask her what she thinks of it and she just tells me, "why are you still bothering with your fish, just get a real job, Dobbies wouldn't have you anyway".

This is the kind of crap I'm referring to.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 09-28-2014, 10:26 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like growing pains to me, you'll be fine.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:05 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yeah my family hates fish

Fishobsessed7

Fishobsessed7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 12:35 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Same here. Family hates the tank,landlord says its going to flood his apartment. The only lfs I have within an hour and a half only keeps a handful of fish and absolutely no coral.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:58 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

You have a lot of company. I am a 40 plus woman who lives with Dad so I can take care of him. My son, daughter-in-law, and another sister who lives here too have no interest in fish. I have to keep all my fish stuff in "my" area. Second floor apartment. They do not understand my fascination with fish and snails. On the other hand my young nieces and nephews love to come over.

Sounds like you have a little passive aggressive behavior situation going on. Do they have hobbies? Point out how much time and money they spend on their likes. Do you breed your fish or raise plants? Turn it into a potential income. I sale plants online here on on a few other sites when I have extra. I also sale fish to my local pet store when mine breed. I will not get rich but I do make enough to buy more pet stuff. LOL

If you love to work with fish and aquariums than you should pursue a job in that area. You may not make a lot of money but being happy at what you do is a good thing. Think about veterinarian school and specialize in aquatic pets and reptiles. There are not enough vets who specialize in those areas.

Tags
hob

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com