Anyone else in the hobby alone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CCXGT

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm getting a bit fed up by the fact that no one gives a darn about what I'm doing.

My Dad and Sister pretty much couldn't care less about it and my Mum downright hates it.

I'm 99% sure that if I went away for a weekend or something my fish would get flushed.

Literally any time I do a water change, clean a canister, go out to the fish shop or google anything about fish all I get is complaints from people telling me how pointless everything I do is.

And on top of this, all three of them spend at LEAST half an hour a day checking out my tank and trying to talk to me about it..

Anyways, I'm pissed off.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited by a moderator:
I care. Want a hug? I hear you though.. my gf is always saying I should get rid of the tanks.. gee if you haven't noticed o kind of like the tanks, they kind of make me happy, i just put all this time and money into them for my health...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So, if they spend a half hour a day looking at it and talking about it, they are clearly interested. At least in a casual way. This hobby isn't for everyone, and sometimes it is difficult to articulate the allure.

My grown children could are less about my fish, but I have 2 grandkids that are kind of into the tanks. Maybe some day they will have fish. But mainly I enjoy working with the tanks and fish, seeing what makes them thrive and feel comfortable in their environment. So if you get happiness and satisfaction in the hobby, it's a good thing and you feel proud and a sense of accomplishment.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Sounds like you're having a bad day?
I'm alone in this as well, wife couldn't care, well she looks at the fish once a month and tells me how "I" don't care about my fish...what?!
When I ask why, she tells me my fish don't look happy because they don't have a pretty decoration like a diver with bubbles coming out or a sunken ship etc.
So yes, I'm alone in this too!

So I've just finished writing my CV for a job in Dobbies (one of my LFS's) and my mum decided to read it over.

I ask her what she thinks of it and she just tells me, "why are you still bothering with your fish, just get a real job, Dobbies wouldn't have you anyway".

This is the kind of crap I'm referring to.

Same here. Family hates the tank,landlord says its going to flood his apartment. The only lfs I have within an hour and a half only keeps a handful of fish and absolutely no coral.

You have a lot of company. I am a 40 plus woman who lives with Dad so I can take care of him. My son, daughter-in-law, and another sister who lives here too have no interest in fish. I have to keep all my fish stuff in "my" area. Second floor apartment. They do not understand my fascination with fish and snails. On the other hand my young nieces and nephews love to come over.

Sounds like you have a little passive aggressive behavior situation going on. Do they have hobbies? Point out how much time and money they spend on their likes. Do you breed your fish or raise plants? Turn it into a potential income. I sale plants online here on on a few other sites when I have extra. I also sale fish to my local pet store when mine breed. I will not get rich but I do make enough to buy more pet stuff. LOL

If you love to work with fish and aquariums than you should pursue a job in that area. You may not make a lot of money but being happy at what you do is a good thing. Think about veterinarian school and specialize in aquatic pets and reptiles. There are not enough vets who specialize in those areas.

My mother hates fish, brother is indifferent, and my dad likes them enough that he helps me out a bit.

Emerald76

I can relate, my gf thinks I am insane for the amount of money I've spent on my discus tank but even when she is having a bad day sitting down in front of the tank for 30 minutes and just watching them helps enlighten her mood. I do the same when I have a bad day I call it therapeutically "tanking" about it haha.

I can relate, my gf thinks I am insane for the amount of money I've spent on my discus tank but even when she is having a bad day sitting down in front of the tank for 30 minutes and just watching them helps enlighten her mood. I do the same when I have a bad day I call it therapeutically "tanking" about it haha.

I think quite a lot of people are like that..

They love fish but can't stand the idea of spending money..

I've actually been offered to set up my welding teacher's fish tank XD
Bit weird but why not!

It's fun! I love setting up new tanks. I have a 55g I really really really want to make a salt tank but I know it's gonna cost me a looooott of money for live rock and sand and what not. I'd have to get another sump because I hear canisters are a no go. I want sea horses soooooo bad I've loved them since I was young and have done reports on them. What kind of fish do they want to keep?

It's my blood pressure I help out by having a fish tank. Because of others indifferances I am now one that will keep this l joy to myself. I was disappointed that others did not share my interest, one time. It' time to get over it and enjoy your creation. That is what a hobby if for.

It's fun! I love setting up new tanks. I have a 55g I really really really want to make a salt tank but I know it's gonna cost me a looooott of money for live rock and sand and what not. I'd have to get another sump because I hear canisters are a no go. I want sea horses soooooo bad I've loved them since I was young and have done reports on them. What kind of fish do they want to keep?

He doesn't know yet, he says he wants piranhas because he likes the aggressiveness...
We'll have to see.

I'm getting a bit fed up by the fact that no one gives a darn about what I'm doing.

My Dad and Sister pretty much couldn't care less about it and my Mum downright hates it.

I'm 99% sure that if I went away for a weekend or something my fish would get flushed.

Literally any time I do a water change, clean a canister, go out to the fish shop or google anything about fish all I get is complaints from people telling me how pointless everything I do is.

And on top of this, all three of them spend at LEAST half an hour a day checking out my tank and trying to talk to me about it..

Anyways, I'm pissed off.

I know exactly how you feel. Im the misfit of ten children, im the only one who likes pets or wildlife and the like. Every time I go somewhere for an extended period of time, some of my pets disappear.

My store in jax had a pacu once was interested but I wouldn't be able to stand watching it mangle other fish. Oscars or jack Dempsey would be good. Electric blue jack Dempsey is cool looking.

My opinion of it is if they are against your hobby then take their breath away. Get your tank planted and scraped until it looks stunning, they cannot argue with that! Of course I don't know what your tank looks like.

My mum and brother take no interest in my tank, although they do enjoy looking at the fish and my plants. They are also looking after it while I'm on holiday at the moment. Dunno how I got my mum to do the daily dosing of ferts but she seems to be enjoying it. Maybe try offer your mum the chance to feed the fish once in a while? Try get her into the hobby

My opinion of it is if they are against your hobby then take their breath away. Get your tank planted and scraped until it looks stunning, they cannot argue with that! Of course I don't know what your tank looks like.

My mum and brother take no interest in my tank, although they do enjoy looking at the fish and my plants. They are also looking after it while I'm on holiday at the moment. Dunno how I got my mum to do the daily dosing of ferts but she seems to be enjoying it. Maybe try offer your mum the chance to feed the fish once in a while? Try get her into the hobby

I like the way you think! haha

Back
Top Bottom