Anyone else's cat likes to drink out of your tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Honey, my parents' Maine Coon, would sit and watch the fish but never attempted to drink the water or catch the fish. Ysabeau, my 8mo tabby, decided when she was about 4mo that Agamemnon, my beta, might make a good playmate. Caught her one afternoon with her paws in the tank (she'd somehow managed to open the hood), and subsequently moved Agamemnon to a room with a door. I'm really hoping that the height of the 30g on its stand will deter her from another attempt...

Haha, my cat would lift the hood on my tank and swat at my turtle when They were basking.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My Bombay cat likes to sit on my futon that's about 7 feet away and watch the fish. He knows if he gets on it I'll, well let's just say he'll have opened Pandora's box.

Sent from my iWishiHadaPhone using Aquarium Advice

Cat hair & drinking out of the aquarium

Grrrrrrrr cat hair floating in the aquarium...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yep! :lol: Several times I have seen cat hair & started shining a flashlight on it thinking it was an unknown parasite in the tank.:blink: Once a piece of hair got stuck on a fish's fin, gave me quite a scare.:eek: I removed him from the tank, only to find a disconnected hair in the little cup I scooped him with.

Start siphon & Cat drinking from tank

Yeah I hate that, I usually just start it by lifting the cylinder. But when it just won't start and I have to start it on my own I often get a disgusting taste of my water.

I'm not sure what equipment you have, but search Youtube "start gravel vacuum without having to suck the tube" :dance: or here's the link:
--------------------------------------------------

My cat drinks the siphoning gravel vacuum water, whenever he gets the chance, so I dump it down a sink right away. :lol: Also likes the toilet if you leave it open, and the saucers under plants, must really like the taste of dirty water *icckk* :facepalm:. He can't reach the tank because of the 3ft stand, and I don't put desks near it to climb on. He will watch the fish lazily from a nearby fan he sits on top of. He doesn't take a whole lot of interest in most household "bugs", so I'm not suprised the 3/4" fish don't peak much interest either. :rolleyes: Now, if it was more accessible he might go investigate.

My cat used to only drink water from the fish tanks. Recently, I got him a waterfall water dish and now he only uses the tank as a launch pad to reach the upper cabinets.

Yep! :lol: Several times I have seen cat hair & started shining a flashlight on it thinking it was an unknown parasite in the tank.:blink: Once a piece of hair got stuck on a fish's fin, gave me quite a scare.:eek: I removed him from the tank, only to find a disconnected hair in the little cup I scooped him with.

My apisto had a hair hanging out his gill for 2 days, i was about to intervene but it sorted itself out.. I added a water bubbler cat dish and it seemed to help sway them away from the tank..

My cat used to jump on my tank, swat off the filter cover and drink from the back of the filter. It finally got to the point that I taped down the filter cover! After he figured out he couldn't get it open anymore he resigned to just sitting and watching

Yeah true. I had the cabinet door on my tank open while i was doing maintenance and he just walks in and tries to steal the food.

They like the warm light, i spray mine with a water bottle, she knocks the lids off filters and I hated the cat hair in the tanks.. she got the hint..

I haven't been home lately and my brother was sleeping in my room. He let him drink out of my tank, eat the fish food, and use my surf board as a scratching post. Not overly impressed. SMH

Back
Top Bottom