Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-24-2011, 06:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Anyone ever thought about opening a LFS?

I'm curious if anyone here has ever done, or thought of doing this?

I've always had the dream of owning my own LFS, ever since I was a little kid, and I'm now in a position where I may be able to do it soon. If I do it though, I want to make sure I'm prepared...

What kind of things do you guys like and don't like to see at your LFS, what would you like to see more of, what makes you go where you go?

Anyone have ideas and suggestions?

There isn't really anyplace that has that "wow" factor around here, just a generic box store and a small pet shop. But then again, I feel this place may be a little small with only 21,940 people. However, I do have the advantage of being able to live with very little expense here.

What kind of things do you guys think need to be done or considered?

Old 04-24-2011, 07:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've been thinking about that for along time as well and everything that would be involved is mind boggling to me. Would pretty much be my dream come true if I could do that or work in/ co own a store.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:22 PM   #3
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

We do have a few members who run some level of a lfs...

I think you would have a difficult time with that small of a population, unless you really try and focus on internet sales--and even then fish only is a tough business.
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:30 PM   #4

That's exactly what I think fort. I'll probably relocate to a bigger city, even if it costs more initially I think it'd be worth it.

I'm conflicted on the fish only side of things, and sometimes wonder if a better idea would be a general pet shop. But then the past shows that pursuing synergies tends not to work out.

I've made an interesting note that most privately owned businesses that have been successful chose only one section of the market to specialize in. I think this may be because they don't have to juggle so many things, and are free to completely master one section of the market.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:35 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Flake
here's the only thing I can tell you that's the main reason lfs's go out of business around here.

If you go into this in debt, you'll barely survive. One lost shipment could cost you your shirt. Make sure you will be financially stable enough to be able to get everything you need and still buy fish before you start.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:37 PM   #6

Send severum mama and HN1 a pm. They've done it, and chances are they've got a few pointers.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:39 PM   #7
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

That makes a lot of sense. There is a such an enormous startup cost to undertake something like this... and really the market is not huge, so if you are paying down a bunch of debt, it could make it very difficult. The internet has really hurt small brick and mortar businesses in that regard... the amount of markup you can get away with on equipment has dwindled significantly.
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flake View Post
here's the only thing I can tell you that's the main reason lfs's go out of business around here.

If you go into this in debt, you'll barely survive. One lost shipment could cost you your shirt. Make sure you will be financially stable enough to be able to get everything you need and still buy fish before you start.
I wouldn't go into debt, or even consider going into debt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homedog98 View Post
Send severum mama and HN1 a pm. They've done it, and chances are they've got a few pointers.
Thanks, I'll direct them this way. ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort384 View Post
That makes a lot of sense. There is a such an enormous startup cost to undertake something like this... and really the market is not huge, so if you are paying down a bunch of debt, it could make it very difficult. The internet has really hurt small brick and mortar businesses in that regard... the amount of markup you can get away with on equipment has dwindled significantly.
I think the best way to prepare for this would be to acknowledge that the internet has no borders, and you're in direct competition with every site out there.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:57 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

This business is very competitive. I would guess it is the biggest reason you find all the terrible advice from pet stores.
It is much like the computer industry. If you are well educated in computer hardware, building your own computers etc.. just listen to the sales person talk to someone who has no clue about computers. I feel bad everytime I see someone walk out of a big box store with some overprcied junky computer.
Like the person walking out with a fish bowl and 2 goldfish.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:01 PM   #10

Another way to help upon start up is to buy stock from local breeders and such, cutting out stress(on both you and fish) from shipping and all the handling, it helps your local economy and you can pretty much hand pick your fish instead of placing an order and crossing your fingers.

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com