Anyone here go fishing ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Somebody yell at me if I keep forgetting to pick up a fishing license and rod and reel! I have a great fishing spot nearby now and I really miss going out and fishing, and hopefully bringing home some fresh fish. My mom and I were talking about that last night - how long it has been since we have eaten bass.

I grew up fishing in SW almost exclusively. Its kinda strange, but there's a disconnect when it comes to dealing with food fish and when it comes to dealing with pet fish. The only time it gets weird for me is when I'm collecting natives and I catch a monster bluegill or other kind of sunfish.

I think it works in the same way that someone raised on a farm has no issues dispatching a chicken. We tried keeping chickens last year, but would never consider them as food, and putting one down was a nearly traumatizing experience for me. But that didn't stop me from eating a chicken sandwich at a fast food place the same day.

I don't believe in the short memory span of fish either. It's easy enough to see that our pet fish recognize humans and associate them with food. As previously mentioned, hunger can outweigh good sense, and I would argue that some previously hooked fish don't even remotely understand how the fishing process works.

Im pretty excited, as my bio teacher recently told us he applied for a permission from the DNR to keep native species in one of his classroom tanks. Im not positive on its size but it looks about 8-12'x 2.5'x3'H, so pretty big.
He said we will probably be able to bring fish in (assuming they aren't too big of course). Im thinking about trying some small sunnies and crappies, maybe perch, and possibly Large mouth, although those would probably eventually get too big, but im not sure on how long he plans to have this. If i could catch one nearby, i may even try a walleye. For transporting i was thinking a cooler with an aerator then large bags like used in bass fishing to get up to classroom, but not sure on that.

Back
Top Bottom