Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-28-2014, 03:20 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Activist

I wouldn't say I love to kiss the bass lol, it's my way of showing the animal love before I release her. I like to keep the good karma rolling lol

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 08-28-2014, 03:40 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeybsmooth View Post
Hey guys ,

I use to go fishing when I was a kid. However since I started keeping fish I just can't bring my self to go fishing . I know the cycle of life and blah blah blah. But since I have noticed that each fish has their own personality I cann't just view them like I use to.

Has fish keeping did this to anyone else ?

Personally it has stopped me and my bf, to me it's like putting a fishing rod in my tank and catching them, I couldn't bring myself to do it, we have thrown all our rods everything that is to do with fishing, only fish I catch are mine when I'm upgrading tanks or have a poorly fish,

Sent from my fish phone

Old 08-28-2014, 03:44 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Activist

It's very interesting to see everyone's view on this subject. Also very refreshing to see people not bashing others on their views.

Old 08-28-2014, 03:45 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishinfreak View Post
I'm pretty sure research has been done and shown that the only pain fish feel is the first piercing of the hook, and after that its just a tugging coming from their mouth. This is just one thing I've found that makes fishing ok from your perspective.

How would you feel with a hook going through your lip over and over when you thought you were getting food an then gettin your lip tugged up till you were caught and terrified at the same time

I bet the same people who did this research are the same ones that say fish have a 3 second memory

Sent from my fish phone
Old 08-28-2014, 03:48 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by meliboouk View Post
How would you feel with a hook going through your lip over and over when you thought you were getting food an then gettin your lip tugged up till you were caught and terrified at the same time

I bet the same people who did this research are the same ones that say fish have a 3 second memory

Sent from my fish phone

Agree (note I am a fisherman) it's a double edged sword I love fish and love the sport of catching fish. One fish I have caught was put into my fathers tank. It grew to be 5+lbs and we released the beautiful blue cat back to the wild. I agree fish have longer memories than that. Typically once a fish is hooked it won't bite again for 3 days.

Old 08-28-2014, 03:56 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZcarFR-S View Post
I wouldn't say I love to kiss the bass lol, it's my way of showing the animal love before I release her. I like to keep the good karma rolling lol

I like to keep the good karma rolling too.

May the force be with you.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:42 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZcarFR-S View Post
Agree (note I am a fisherman) it's a double edged sword I love fish and love the sport of catching fish. One fish I have caught was put into my fathers tank. It grew to be 5+lbs and we released the beautiful blue cat back to the wild. I agree fish have longer memories than that. Typically once a fish is hooked it won't bite again for 3 days.

Not sure about that time frame. I once caught a small grouper near a jetty that I watched someone catch about 3-4 hours before me. I knew it was the same fish because it had the same mis-marking and hole on the side of his mouth from the other guy's hook. He had used natural bait, I used an artificial lure. Can't say this is typical but it did happen which raises the point: Maybe they don;t have such long term memory after all. If the pain was too much to bare, why did it attack another food in just a few hours?

Just sayin'
Old 08-28-2014, 08:37 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice FINatic

^ maybe it's need for food out weighted the pain of being caught.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:36 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nshepler View Post
^ maybe it's need for food out weighted the pain of being caught.

Scientific study's show that fish do not feel pain by electrically charging the water fish are in.

And yes I do go fishing and eat fish that are a reasonable size to keep.

Sent from my iPod touch 4th generation using Aquarium Advice app
Old 08-29-2014, 12:18 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Freak

Have always fished and always kept tanks. Have no issues with either. I mainly catch and release (bass 99% of the time) but have no problems keeping a mess of fish to eat. I kept them different ways, strung gills up on lotus stems as I waded the shallows, used floating fish baskets at times, bucket during winter, and then if in the boat live well.

Tags
fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com