Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-04-2012, 02:08 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Anyone here have Rainbow Shiner fish?

Hey AA folks! Wondering if anyone here has had or presently has Rainbow Shiners out of Alabama United States in their aquarium? Also called the Rainbow Dace. I recently came across a youtube video of these fish and they are beautiful! Would like to know others experience with these fish.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hi everyone! Anybody? Anybody at all? I must have put this one in the wrong section...I almost put it in the freshwater section but thought maybe someone may have had these fish before they went to salt and would pass by looking into the freshwater threads...so, I posted here for the most coverage.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Okay, I thought I'd post a bit of info about this beautiful fish I'm interested in.
Cyprinella lutrensis grows about 3.6" and comes in a variety of colors, mostly having blue as a base color and orange to red finnage. It is native to Alabama, USA. It is a cool water fish. When the male is ready to spawn, it gets raised white bumbs on his head. The females like many other fish are duller in color than the male.
I am very interested in tracking this fish down. I would really like to know more about it far as tempermant goes and can not find info on it in the usual fish sites. If it is a peaceful species, from everything else I was able to find about it, this species would do great in with my Roseline Sharks. Here's a couple pics I pulled off google images (hopefully I am not breaking any copyright laws ) It looks similar the the Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish colors, but has a more elongated body.

Tags
community tank, rainbow dace, rainbow shiner, shiner

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com