Anyone keep hermit crabs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SharpieItBlack

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got a free five gallon and I have no idea what to do with it... I was thinking a single fire bellied toad or a couple hermit crabs. Its taller than wide, I thought for crabs it'd be good since I read they like to climb.
Or any other good stocking ideas. I don't want to run into an overstocking problem like I did with my Goldie. I wanna get the right size tank from the start so I don't need to upgrade in the middle again.

I got a free five gallon and I have no idea what to do with it... I was thinking a single fire bellied toad or a couple hermit crabs. Its taller than wide, I thought for crabs it'd be good since I read they like to climb.
Or any other good stocking ideas. I don't want to run into an overstocking problem like I did with my Goldie. I wanna get the right size tank from the start so I don't need to upgrade in the middle again.

Shrimp ?

Well I used to have some hermit crabs and to be honest, they were not worth all the time and money spent. I could never manage to get a healthy one and I thought they were pretty boring. They only time they really did something was at night when they just crawled around.

You could do a really cool little tank if you can manage to get a nice betta that is tolerant of other fish. If it were me, I would do a betta, 3-5 ghost shrimp, and maybe a couple of snails. It would be a pretty active tank. I've had one with this exact stock and it was great!

I'd do the betta with 2-3 African dwarf frogs, I love those lil things!

I'd do the betta with 2-3 African dwarf frogs, I love those lil things!

In a five gallon? Seems like too much to me. Since I read around and you need like 2 for a betta and minimum 5 for even dwarf frogs. I ran into overstocking with my Goldie it was so much trouble.

My daughter kept them (translated Dad here took care of the dirty work lol) Their ok, and like fish each has it's own temperament. The best thing you can splurge for if you do go with them is the calcium sand. Once swapped out regular stuff for that, they were in Hog Heaven. Don't forget if you want them active daytime some as well as nite, steam a cup of water and put it in the tank with a towel over it, or just take the tank into the bathroom when you shower lol! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom