Anyone know anything about fire belly toads?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kimberly

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have an empty 10 gallon and I am thinking about getting some fire belly toads to put in it. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with them and can tell me if this is a good idea or not. If so, how many could I put in there and what would I need to know about them?

All I have is a tank, no lid, light, filter, etc. So I am wanting something fairly simple to put in the tank and my kids are fascinated by frogs and lizards.

I have alot of experience with them, i've had some in the past but i don't have any at the moment. They are really cool. They're also readily available. For a 10 gallon you could have about 2 since the more you have the more space they'll need. They need dechlorinated water and lots of rokcs and place to climb because they like to climb. The males are ususally the ones that make alot of noise like a dog in the distance. You can feed them crickets and earthworms they love those. Be sure to sprinkle them with calcium powder though or else they might get mettalic bone disease. Also clean thier water often too. Do not handle them unless it's to clean thier tank. They are toxic and you could hurt them with the oils in your hands. Other than that they are a great pet if you like toads. If you have any other questions you can pm me if you want.

Agreed...I would not go with more than two Bombina in a 10 (a 15 is enough for 4, though)...about 3/4 water, 1/4 land...small, submersible filters work a treat on these terrariums. Unless you live in Alaska, additional heating should be necessary, crickets make an excellent primary food, gutloaded and dusted as mentioned. The toads' toxicity is usually negligible, except in persons with sensitivities, but washing your hands after handling the toads does the trick. Another important note is that buckets, etc used to hold the toads/toads' water should never be used for fish, as it may, even with rinsing, retain enough residual toxins to kill fish.

I have 4 firebelly toads in a 10 gallon. They eat crickets, silkworms, & earthworms. I have a big huge bowl (I think it was a "snake" bowl) that is filled with water about 2.5-3 inches deep. The bowl is probably 6-8 inches in diameter. On either side of the bowl is peat moss and I have some fake pothos and branches in there. They seem to spend equal amounts of time in and out of the water. Every other day I empty the water bowl and refill with artisean well water. They are very hardy & you will hear them at night as they do their mating calls. We have 3 green ones and one brown one. My kids really enjoy watching them. They are definitely a pet to watch and not a pet to handle due to toxicity. However you won't have any problems cleaning their cage or picking one up to move it out of the way. Just wash your hands.

Oh and most importantly have a lid on your tank. These guys can really climb. They will climb right up glass, usually they brace themselves in a corner to climb to the top. So definitely have a lid. We have a screen lid and it works well.

Oh I just read Toirtis' post......apparently my firebelly toads home is overstocked 8O Anyway it's best to listen to Toirtis....him being a zoologist and all :oops: :oops: But definitely get a lid. Oh and they love caves!

Thanks. Two sounds good to me. I definately don't mind them not being pets to handle, that would be difficult for my kids to be gentle enough.

Two more quick questions: are they diurnal? And are they out and about or do they hide most of the time? I definately want critters that my kids and I can watch.

Tortis, I am a bit confused by this
Unless you live in Alaska, additional heating should be necessary,

Do you mean that unless I live in Alaska additional heating should not be necessary? I am in MI, which is by far colder than the warm TX I am used to, so I had planned on getting some type of heating.

I haven't done my research yet, just saw firebelly toads at the petstore. It will be a couple of weeks before I get them, if I decide that is what I want to do!

Thanks everyone.

kimberly said:
Two more quick questions: are they diurnal? And are they out and about or do they hide most of the time? I definately want critters that my kids and I can watch.

Yes, although, like many Anurians, they are somewhat mre crepuscular, so they will be slightly more active (and vocal) at twilight.

Tortis, I am a bit confused by this
Unless you live in Alaska, additional heating should be necessary,

Do you mean that unless I live in Alaska additional heating should not be necessary? I am in MI, which is by far colder than the warm TX I am used to, so I had planned on getting some type of heating.

As long as you keep your home at around 70ºF, you really do not need additional heating, but having a small wattage bulb in a reflectorised tank-top light will provide a bit of extra warmth as well as making it easier to give your toads a delineated photoperiod (especially if on a timer that allows for 14-15 hours of light each day).

kimberly said:

I think it depends on how your cage is set up. I have my bowl really "out in the open" in the center of the tank. Then I have branches and fake pothos all over the back of the cage. When they are hanging in the water they are very easy to spot. But my kids also get a kick out of finding them when they are climbing around in the branches. A light over the tank helps make them more visible. They sleep in caves overnight. But other than that they are quite active.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom