Anyone remember this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fresh2o

Aquarium Advice Addict
image-1651150952.jpg
Found this in my old "fish box" in the attic. Not sure why I am holding onto this. Wonder if it still runs.

yes i actualy have 2 of them they were good in there day. the ones i have still work great and have good water flow

Lol
I remember that the motor needed to be lined up with the magnet/impeller assembly to get it to work properly.
I also had the Dynaflow 410 (?) power filter...the one with siphon tube. Filled it with charcoal and glass wool (ouch!)

I've got a HUGE collection of old filters, pumps, and chemicals that I've collected over the years and for some unknown inner hoarding demon I can't throw away anything; especially since they're still functional. How about this one? A Whisper Diatomagic filter.

Last edited:
LOL I remember the days before HOB filters were invented. All we had was the little plastic boxes that went inside the tank that you filled with glass wool and loose charcoal, hooked up an air line to and the bubbles rising out of the vertical exhaust tube would pull water through the filter. The flow was so inefficient unless you had so much air going through it that it looked like an air gieser in your tank.
Also remember the only fish food was a corn meal like crud made by Wardleys that clouded your water no matter how little you used. LOL. Also metal framed tanks with slate bottoms and black petroleum based glue sealing them. Oh Jeees! We've come a LONG WAY since then. Now you know why I call myself "Old Scales". Hee Hee.

LOL I remember the days before HOB filters were invented. All we had was the little plastic boxes that went inside the tank that you filled with glass wool and loose charcoal, hooked up an air line to and the bubbles rising out of the vertical exhaust tube would pull water through the filter. The flow was so inefficient unless you had so much air going through it that it looked like an air gieser in your tank.
Also remember the only fish food was a corn meal like crud made by Wardleys that clouded your water no matter how little you used. LOL. Also metal framed tanks with slate bottoms and black petroleum based glue sealing them. Oh Jeees! We've come a LONG WAY since then. Now you know why I call myself "Old Scales". Hee Hee.

Somebody on my local CL has a steel framed tank with a slate bottom. It's a 75 I think and they've been trying to get rid of it for awhile.

Somebody on my local CL has a steel framed tank with a slate bottom. It's a 75 I think and they've been trying to get rid of it for awhile.

I'm sure that ways a ton. I had a 10 gallon slate bottom steel frame tank and it was heavy.
I had my share of air driven plastic box filters with charcoal and glass wool (very irritating).

You aint the only one brother! I HAD one of the old slate bottom, stainless framed monstrosities! It was my first tank....and Wardleys brings back some sour memories.....And those old bubble filters with the loud droning airpumps...I wonder, back in those days, how our fish even lived in those! And we had fish sold at the Local Ben Franklin! We got most of our fish there til a LFS opened a bike ride away...but, the LFS was run by one of my teachers,so a trip there by bike meant I better have the homework done as that was his first question to us as we entered the store! Funny thing, I think back to that shop and realize.. the man didn't know Jack about fish! He told us so many things that were wrong! But its sure was nice stocking a 20gal for under $6. Ah the Stone age days of fish keeping... I dont miss em!!!!

OMG 98k!
Your "fond" memories are the same as mine. My airpump back then sounded like the barber's electric trimming shears and my tank was in my bedroom. LOL. I had forgot about Ben Franklin and also Woolworth's. Remember the "Balanced Aquarium Theory"?
We have fish spawning in our community tanks now that we only dreamed of spawning back then. I remember wading in ponds collecting wild daphnia and mosquito larvae to condition just zebra danios into spawning. Boiling cabbage and letting it "age" so as to grow infusoria for the fry. Fond memories my a**! Thank God for TECHNOLOGY! LMAO,
Old Scales.

OMG 98k!
Your "fond" memories are the same as mine. My airpump back then sounded like the barber's electric trimming shears and my tank was in my bedroom. LOL. I had forgot about Ben Franklin and also Woolworth's. Remember the "Balanced Aquarium Theory"?
We have fish spawning in our community tanks now that we only dreamed of spawning back then. I remember wading in ponds collecting wild daphnia and mosquito larvae to condition just zebra danios into spawning. Boiling cabbage and letting it "age" so as to grow infusoria for the fry. Fond memories my a**! Thank God for TECHNOLOGY! LMAO,
Old Scales.

Mine was on my dresser in my room and it rattled like the house was falling in LOL I actually HAD that "Balanced aquarium" book along with some 1950's-1960's Aquarium fish books by Dr Herbert Zim, and others by Axelrod. Supposed to be the "Experts" back then.....Yeah I bred bettas back then but only had 2 make it to adults, and spent hours at the creek looking for fry food. That was a big deal back then cuz male bettas were rare, (Not everywhere had them, and females almost didn't exist! I bugged the fish store til he ordered one and she was $2.50 back then!) and breeding them was unheard of!) 5 and Dimes had fish, and K mart sold tanks for like $4.99 And even breeding guppies was a chore. My grandma had show guppies since the 1950's and I inherited them when she got too old to care for them I had that show line til 1980 when an ice storm wiped out the power for 4 days, and we lost them. As far as fish keeping I would never go back.....As I remember it, even the early heaters were noisy! Ours always made a click when they came on, and a soft hum while heating... that is if u could hear it over the bubbler and air pump! I do know the scariest sound... was NOT hearing all that junk! Could wake me from a dead sleep! We got it made nowadays!

Amen brother! I wish I still had my old meta-frame 10g. I'd set it up just as a conversation piece. Take care, see you around AA. OS.

I cut my teeth keeping fish on those inside corner filters. lol And don;t get me started on Metal framed tanks with slate bottoms. That was my first Saltwater tank cause all glass tanks hadn't been invented yet :ROFLMAO: We sure have come a long way. (y)
BTW, I have a working Comic Piston pump somewhere in my fish box. I pilferred the belt for another machine I made :brows: :D Anybody still sell belts for piston pumps? lol And I am still using my Hush 3 air pump ( I have to rig the diaphragms so they don't leak air) cause I can't find parts for my whisper 1000 and my Silent Giant's diaphragm is shot as well. How many reading this are scratching their heads on these products ???? lol

Back
Top Bottom