Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-24-2005, 09:34 PM   #31
AA Team Emeritus
Phyl, this was the situation with my oldest daughter. At least when it comes to the schools around here, if you are heavily involved and meet with the teacher and the principal, in some cases, you can get the curriculum adjusted for your child.

The problem with that is that the importance of social interaction with kids of all levels of ability, and of the kid's own age, can't be underestimated, and when they are moved up to a higher grade for reading and other subjects (as in my daughter's case) they are pegged as different and it has an impact on their social experience at school. This is pretty huge when you are 5-10 years old, and kindof stays with the child. In the very early grades the social education they get is just as important as the academic.

One of the neighboring county systems here has a program where several grades of kids are all taught together, so that the older kids help the younger kids, and the more advanced younger kids can easily pursue more challenging work in the same classroom. I think this is a great concept.

Old 05-25-2005, 03:55 AM   #32
God of primitive fishes
Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
Originally Posted by Clown Monarch
He was brilliant and picked up the most obscure ideas very quickly. We had all honors classes together but he was prodigal. Never took a book home. Never studied. Never talked about any of his classes. I remember watching him finish an entire Calculus assignment in the last few minutes of class while waiting for the bell to ring (the same assignment would take me an hour if I could complete it at all). He was easily the most intelligent, analytical mind I've ever been around. He scored a 1480 on his SATs and only took them once.

On the flipside his life was COMPLETELY unstructured. His teeth were rotting out of his head because he ate whatever he wanted all day long (candy). His parents were divorced and he came and went as he pleased. He had no study habits. He ended up ranking 10-15 in our class (rather than 1) because he never turned in any homework assignments.
Except for the teeth and divorce bits, that could be describing my high-school experience....a lack of study habits (as opposed to research) made for quite a shock once I hit Uni....****ed good thing I learn quickly or I would have been quite sunk.

G. A. Christian Bilou, Herpetologist
Founder/Director, Reptile Rescue Alberta
Past-President, Calgary Aquarium Society
Old 05-26-2005, 10:08 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Activist
I am a kindergarten/first grade teacher at a school with blended classes. If you have questions about what is appropriate - just ask! I love my job, and that is what you need to look for in a teacher. While all the upper grade teachers (we go to 8th grade) dress really nice - I wear jeans, shorts and t-shirts. I love playing on the playground - sitting on the floor and getting covered with paint. Kindergarten teachers should balance the rules with the fun. My school is considered brain-based, so if your child is looking out the window, we all look out the window. We are noisy, active learners - it is an ideal situation. AND WE ARE A PUBLIC SCHOOL! If you don't like the program where you are, there are alternatives, and not all of them cost an arm and a leg. And most importantly, don't push your kinder to learn just so they can be ahead. They'll have to do that sooner or later, leave it for later. Kindergarten is for introductions to learning and socialization. Have fun with them - volunteer. I love parents, siblings, grandparents. Just don't tell me how to do my job - and don't do your child's work - that isn't why you are there.

Congrats on having a kinder. Mine are juniors in high school and college. They grow up way too fast.
Terry - voted the most huggable teacher at ANLC
Old 05-26-2005, 10:56 PM   #34
AA Team Emeritus
Wow! Thanks for posting that - it really gives me hope for my preschoolers and insight into what it means to be a kindergarten teacher. Now I know why my older child's K-teacher was so special.

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com