Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-13-2010, 06:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Aquaridiots :P

My girlfriend and I started our aquarium as something to do together about 2 months ago. We went through the noob phase but quickly (mostly from AA) picked up on how to maintain a beautiful, healthy, and lively aquarium. She has been wanting fish for years and her parents never wanted to buy one for her so I fabricated her dreams of fish keeping to my apartment.

I kick myself for when I was little having a small aquarium and just constantly killing my fish due to not knowing what I was doing. And I see people making the same mistakes I did when I was little, but as adults. And when I try to help, they get so offended!! I call them aquaridiots. My girfriends twin sister (my favorite aquaridiot who always feels need to compete with her bought a small aquarium cube thing and stocked it with two guppies (smart move) but doesn't monitor the water quality and got annoyed when she heard she needed to front money for water conditioner and put time and effort (not much for a 10 inch by 10 inch tank) for PWCs.

She just put an oscar into her tank and it ate the guppies... I don't know how to make her understand she needs to read the fish specs on the tanks at the stores before she buys the fish. I get so frustrated.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thats my brother. He has a 30L (just under 10G) tank and I reckon he has about 50 Tetras in the thing. I've told him a tonne of times he got to many fish but it's all "NO I DON'T!!! SHUT UP THIS IS MY TANK!" Does anyone know a good lawyer???

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

People tell me they would love to have a tank, and then I tell them all I went thru and how much money I have spent, and they change their minds .
My sister-in-law has 4 tanks, with livebearers, bala sharks, a johanni, a pleco, a BGK, turtle, and guppies, and I have been on the phone with her for HOURS educating her about cleaning and feeding. At least the fish are happier!
Old 02-13-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

i know the feeling, my sister doesnt know much about tanks. her fish die and she calls me to ask me questions but it doesnt help. gggrrrrr
Old 02-13-2010, 09:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh man, people are nuts!
Old 02-13-2010, 09:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

lol Everytime i show my tank to someone the first thing they say is "man thats alot of rock in there, the fish have no room to swim." I usually just laugh and reassure them there is plenty of room for them to swim and that the rock in a SW tank is part of the filtration/eco system. And my Mom said "whats the point they dont do anything?" Again i laughed and said they do alot more than the thousands of "knick knacks" you have in your house.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:01 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to Aquarium1
When I checked out one lfs for some cichlids, they only had two in the tank and one looked very sick. The lady taps on the glass with her fingernails to try to make it come out from behind the filter intake . I almost felt like snatching her hand away lol. And I have a neighbor that thinks their filter is good enough so that they never change their water, let alone cycle a tank or acclimate their fish right.
Aquarium1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

everybody that sees my 150g asks me why i dont have any "nemos" in it... i politely explain the difference between saltwater and freshwater

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:37 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

lol

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 03:04 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikefishes View Post

I kick myself for when I was little having a small aquarium and just constantly killing my fish due to not knowing what I was doing.

lol its funny, we were just talking about this earlier. but i find it funny because way back when, when i was little, and had the 10gallon in the bedroom, i would always win those goldfish from the fair, you know, shoot the target win a fish. dont see them much now as it was pretty bad for the fish hanging in bags all day in the sun... but i never had any die. up until just a few years ago actually, my mom had a few of them in her pond, and **** they had to have been 10 years old.
i didnt do anything to the tank, didnt know better. didnt condition it, do water changes, check anything, always figured, it ok to drink, so must be ok for fish too lol... they always seem to do very well though. now i know better and spending all this money and all this time, for the same results... guess lot to be said for those fairground fish....

only one i know that seems to have issues is an EX, who got a 10 gallon for her daughter, stuffed it full of tropical fish, then let her daughter feed them every 10 minutes lol.. eventually i had to explain to the kid why one day they had all died... poor thing, her excuse was, they looked hungry. tank sitting empty now, as she spent about $40 on those fish..

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com