Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-09-2004, 04:36 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here is my idea... I say we elect one member to compose an email letter... I suggest someone that knows A LOT about proper betta care and is good with words... I suggest that person read this page http://www.bubblegear.8k.com/about.html Where they talk about how "safe" their design is for the fish, then address the issues... Then I think the elected person post their letter here so any of us can copy and paste and email it to them as well. They are bound to read one of them. I also suggest that a few good links be added to the email message so they can read more than just a few people's simple opinions... Those are my thoughts on the matter... but something does need do be done... one might think no one would spend that kind of money... but they will... No offense to any women on this site, but come up with any odd design at all, call it fashion, and there is some woman out there that will buy it... Perhaps all the women here no MUCH better but there are pleanty of women that are just going to say "oh how cute" or "I have to have that" That's just how it is... I feel so lucky to be a man and be able to wear blue jeans and a t-shirt and not care about "fashion" Everybody's idea of "fashion" is definitely different cause those bags look hidious to me... like I said, I feel fortunate to be a man

Old 06-09-2004, 04:37 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree it's a terrible concept.. but since the person isn't actually selling any fish I don't see how they can be held accountable for anything. Also at those prices I would be shocked if even one unit was sold.

Still, it's in bad taste and you can count me in to do whatever is possible.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Old 06-09-2004, 04:46 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by millipede
Here is my idea... I say we elect one member to compose an email letter... I suggest someone that knows A LOT about proper betta care and is good with words... I suggest that person read this page http://www.bubblegear.8k.com/about.html Where they talk about how "safe" their design is for the fish, then address the issues... Then I think the elected person post their letter here so any of us can copy and paste and email it to them as well. They are bound to read one of them. I also suggest that a few good links be added to the email message so they can read more than just a few people's simple opinions... Those are my thoughts on the matter... but something does need do be done... one might think no one would spend that kind of money... but they will... No offense to any women on this site, but come up with any odd design at all, call it fashion, and there is some woman out there that will buy it... Perhaps all the women here no MUCH better but there are pleanty of women that are just going to say "oh how cute" or "I have to have that" That's just how it is... I feel so lucky to be a man and be able to wear blue jeans and a t-shirt and not care about "fashion" Everybody's idea of "fashion" is definitely different cause those bags look hidious to me... like I said, I feel fortunate to be a man
I just want to be clear, if anyone writes an email and wishes to use AA.com as an endorsement of said email, AAron and I will have to approve it. You may write in your email that you are a member of this forum and that you will post about their abuse, but nothing is endorsed by this site unless it is approved by Aaron and myself. This probably won't be an issue, but the verbage will have to be in keeping with this sites standards for endorsement from this site.

Next order of business, I highly suggest another method than PETA, fighting idiots with extremists is kinda like going fly hunting with a 12 guage shotgun.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
Old 06-09-2004, 04:54 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

And for those who are creating their own letters to send. Be clear and mature in your emails.

Letters that are threatening in nature do not get a response. They get deleted. If you go too far, they get you in jail. Simply state the facts.
Old 06-09-2004, 05:02 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
Yes, people, please be mature and informational in your letters. Please don't threaten, as I believe we are all above that level on this site. I did not post this topic for AA as a whole to do something about, so please, like reefrunner said, do not think that you can just say things on behalf of AA. I wrote this post so that we, as a community of aquarists may come together.

Does anyone think anyone in congress will care enough about this?

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
Old 06-09-2004, 05:04 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to bungle
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefrunner69
I highly suggest another method than PETA, fighting idiots with extremists is kinda like going fly hunting with a 12 guage shotgun.
I agree they are not the answer. Try googling the words PETA, euthanization, and terrorism.
Old 06-09-2004, 05:32 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

I've googling for an Animal Rights group/forum that I would consider contacting for guidence regarding laws, etc that may play a part in this. But I can't find any that I would consider non-extremist. Does anyone know of a NON-Extremist group that might be worth contacting?
Old 06-09-2004, 05:56 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I just sent an email to the company. I agree that PETA is too extreme and probably not the best answer. They turn most people off and do more harm than good.

lmw80, I really doubt anyone in Congress would care about this, but you never know. Miracles can happen. Maybe there are some aquarists among them.

I'm going to google for an organization that might be good to help out, too. We've got to do something, this is unbelievable. No, wait. Sadly, it's totally believable.

And God said, "Let the waters swarm with fish and other life..." So God created great sea creatures and every sort of fish... And God saw that it was good. Then God blessed them, saying, "Let the fish multiply and fill the oceans..." Genesis 1:20-22
Old 06-09-2004, 05:59 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefrunner69
Next order of business, I highly suggest another method than PETA, fighting idiots with extremists is kinda like going fly hunting with a 12 guage shotgun.
Thank goodness there is someone that agrees with me. People for the Eating of Tasty Animals are way too extreme. (Funny picture goes through head of whale tipping over boat of PETA protestors a couple of years back) Frankly, if it profits, they won't do anything but delete emails. If it doesn't, they won't do anything but delete emails.

There is nothing more illegal about this than the guy on ebay selling 1000s of them in little bitty cups that don't get fed. It is angering, and I don't like it, but it's legal. Sorry folks, I'm all about storming the castle, but this fight was decided long ago.
Old 06-09-2004, 06:03 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
OK, maybe I shouldn't have sent PETA an email. I don't know who they are or anything about them except that they have something to do with animal rights. AA.com was not mentioned anywhere in it though. If you say they are extremist, I'll have to take your word for it. On the other hand, anyone who is enough of an idiot (my opinion) to come up with and try to market something like this betta bag deserves no better than the craziest bunch we can sic on them. Any letter you all want to come up with and agree on, I'll endorse it.

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com