Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-09-2004, 05:20 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by About Bubble Gear
All you ever wanted to know...and then some!

Bubble Gear combines all the functionality of traditional handbags and incorporates a light weight, miniature fish tank inside. Bubble Gear was specifically designed for a small Betta Fish to live comfortably within. Due to their human like lung, Betta Fish are able to live in a filter-less environment and are completely content in small areas. Suprisingly, the fish feels very little to no movement when the bag is in motion due to the unique design of Bubble Gear. Every safety precaution has been considered during the testing of our product line to ensure the comfort, safety and quality of life for your Betta fish. Although the miniature fish tank is more than 5 times larger than that of the average pet shop container, we do recommend keeping a larger bowl at home for your fish so he can stretch his fins when not on the go in his Bubble Gear bag!

The Bubble Light illumination accessory is offered to light up the tank at night or in dark environments such as a night club or restaurant. The Bubble Light illuminates with a bright LED light and is available in Blue, Yellow, Red or Purple! It hooks onto the zipper pull and has a simple on/off switch.

With plenty of room for your belongings, Bubble Gear products add a new twist to traditional handbags, totes and backpacks!
This is like taking your teacup chihuahua everywhere you go

At least when you're not out on the town they do recommend putting your betta in a larger bowl. Clearly Ms. Howard does not believe bettas need a filtered, aerated tank. Perhaps educating this woman will help.

Old 06-09-2004, 05:20 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to oscarbreeder
This is terrible!!
If anyone figuers out what to do just let me know.

Please remember to vote for Aquarium Advice!

Old 06-09-2004, 05:24 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict
So sad!!! Did I miss the email link to the animal activist? I would like to send an email myself. Walmart makes me aggrivated too.
Remember to Keep Christ First!
Old 06-09-2004, 09:02 PM   #24
AA Team Emeritus
I am sorry I brought up PETA, I had no idea they were, um.. like they are. I got a load of info on them and their tactics are as shocking or more than the abuse they are trying to stop.

It is also true that these people are not selling fish, just the container, so there may not be much to be done. I just hate the idea. I thought the worst betta thing I ever saw was when they were used to decorate the tables in tiny jars with flowers at a wedding reception, and each guest was supposed to take a fish home. You can imagine how many fish suffered that day....
Old 06-09-2004, 09:42 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Would many fashionistas who are willing to pay 100 bucks for a bag will be keen on the idea of lugging around a dead fish? (and those bags look pretty ugly to me) Not to mention people are lazy, as long as she doesn't provide the actual betta, perhaps few people will follow through, or would think it nuts or cruel.

I see nothing wrong with a plastic fake fish though. I don't see why the seller doesn't do that.

I don't condone this idea, it's actually kinda sick, but bringing attention to it could actually cause more people to purchase them (or actually purchase them...)
Old 06-09-2004, 09:48 PM   #26
AA Team Emeritus
I don't condone this idea, it's actually kinda sick, but bringing attention to it could actually cause more people to purchase them (or actually purchase them...)
There is an old saying, any publicity is good publicity

Visit Nature Coast Photography
Old 06-09-2004, 09:56 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Originally Posted by millipede
Next order of business, I highly suggest another method than PETA, fighting idiots with extremists is kinda like going fly hunting with a 12 guage shotgun.

Old 06-09-2004, 09:57 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to krap101
hay another bad thing about that, think about how heavy that bag'll get
~ Danny
Old 06-10-2004, 02:44 AM   #29
AA Team Emeritus

This is appalling. I have some time tomorrow; I will try coming up with something that could be e-mailed to this Bubble Gear place, like Millipede suggested. I'm mostly an editor and not a writer but I think I can manage to put something together.

Old 06-10-2004, 03:19 AM   #30
AA Team Emeritus

Oh, what the heck -- this has me so mad I can hardly sleep anyway.

How about this? (keep in mind that it's 3 am, lol)

I, along with other aquarists, are horrified at the prospect of carrying a betta in a handbag. Please understand that we are concerned with the well-being and health of the fish. I and others who keep bettas know that this is not an acceptable way to care for your fish.

While it is true that bettas have an organ that extracts oxygen from the air, bettas still must be cared for like any other fish. They are not completely content in small spaces. To thrive, they need to be in a minimum of three gallons of water, with filtration and temperature stabilization. The only way to ensure their comfort, safety, and quality of life is to provide a tank with a small filter and a small heater, and this equipment is readily available.

Being confined to a small space can cause a number of diseases. The water cannot be properly kept clean, and the fishes' own wastes will accumulate and become toxic. Having no filtration only adds to the problems created by such a small space.

Taking the betta out of the handbag to "stretch his fins" sounds like a good idea, but this isn't a solution to keeping the betta healthy.
Rapid and frequent changes in water temperature, and other water parameters, are not recommended for the health of the fish. Bettas just are not animals that you can take with you, like the family dog. Like any pet, they deserve a comfortable, stable environment, and they would not find that in this handbag.

It is our duty to care for our pets responsibly. Advertising this product as a fish carrier is clearly not in the best interests of the betta.

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com