Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-10-2004, 05:20 AM   #31
AA Team Emeritus

Visit Nature Coast Photography
Old 06-10-2004, 07:47 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Very eloquent... I'd be happy to put my name on that.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Old 06-10-2004, 08:34 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Me too, that is an excellent letter.

And God said, "Let the waters swarm with fish and other life..." So God created great sea creatures and every sort of fish... And God saw that it was good. Then God blessed them, saying, "Let the fish multiply and fill the oceans..." Genesis 1:20-22
Old 06-10-2004, 11:35 AM   #34
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari
Very eloquent... I'd be happy to put my name on that.
I agree! Very well put! I would definitly put my name on that!

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:24 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

WOW!! Great letter! I was trying to come up with something, but I have a presentation today, so I didn't get very far
I like what you said about temperature stabilization. I was definitely thinking about that.

Old 06-10-2004, 07:47 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to oscarbreeder
A t-iasg,

That is a great letter and I too would put my name on it.
Let's get the ball rolling and see what we, as a whole, can do.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/kyman_33/sig.jpg
Old 06-10-2004, 11:01 PM   #37
AA Team Emeritus

Wow--thanks for the feedback, everyone!

I'm going to edit this line: Taking the betta out of the handbag to "stretch his fins" sounds like a good idea, but this isn't good for the fish either.

to this: Taking the betta out of the handbag to "stretch his fins" sounds like a good idea, but this isn't a solution to keeping the betta healthy.

Otherwise I'm afraid someone will leave the betta in the purse -- omg -- that just sounds so ridiculous, a fish in a purse. I kind of had a stomachache today thinking about this.

Like Oscarbreeder said, let's see what we as a whole can do. Should we all e-mail them this letter? They might ignore it after the first few. Should we try to find out the name of the president of the company?

Old 06-10-2004, 11:41 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

If she just ignores them then I'll happily make a new yahoo account everyday and keep sending the email. LOL

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Old 06-11-2004, 12:00 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

I couldn't wait any longer myself. I just had to write them something. Here is what I just sent them...

To whom it may concern,
I find it quite admirable for a person to take initiative and really use their imagination to design something and to make a little money from it. In general those things can be good things. But often times when those wheels in our brains are turning so fast, we miss some things, quite often important things. Provided you read your emails I'm sure you've gotten a few already with people telling you how bad your idea is and how unsafe it is for those fish. I have no fancy words, no hard facts, but I do have a strong passion for animals and I believe that your design does not suit a betta very well. I am a member of an aquarium based forum group and I have learned a lot from them and my passion for animals has only grown. I'd like to start out by addressing some misconceptions about bettas. They do indeed have an organ that helps them to breathe air and every fish store in the world either does or has sold them in tiny little cups because of this. However, they never, ever, lived in such tiny pools in the wild. There are numerous web sites out there that can show you the "puddles" that they live in. And they are not puddles by any means. If you wish for some hard facts, some real links to such pages, please let me know. If someone else hasn't already sent you such info, I will be more than willing to give you any info you'd like. I strongly suggest you go into a pet store sometime and look at one of those bettas in one of those little cups... really study it's behavior. Then find someone with a betta in a tank of a few gallons or more and compare the behavior. Bettas can survive in a small container, but it is cruel and a lot more work to keep one alive for any period of time. Bettas do not like a ton of movement in the water and I really find it hard to believe that they don't feel much movement in that container. I also wonder, seeing as they can breather air, how they can get air in a container like that without the container having openings large enough for water to also spill out. Bettas are tropical fish and require warm water. Any sudden changes in water temperature can be quite harmful to the fish.
Like I said earlier, I admire initiative. I also would not want to see even my enemies fail in life. I'm sure you spent a lot of time on the design and it really does pain me to say this, but it would be best for consumers and their fish if you discontinued this project. I realize you are not selling the fish but it really is a moral decision. By selling this product and saying it is safe for these fish you are in essence mis-informing people and leading to the possible death of many, many bettas. I do wish you well in anything you do, but I could not keep silent on this issue. All animals are entrusted into our care as humans and we have a certain responsibility to keep them safe and healthy. Thank you for your time.
Sincerely,
Daniel M

I almost hate trying to be so diplomatic or polite when i'm so frustrated but I figure they might actually read more of it this way.
I'm sure some of you when reading what I just wrote could translate it into something else I might have been thinking... As ugly and impractical as those things are, someone out there will buy them... I guess if that person continues selling them all we can do is push even harder to spread the good word of Aquarium Advice...
Old 06-11-2004, 12:04 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

If that red color is hurting anyone's eyes one of the advisors are more than welcome to make it a little nicer...

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com