Aquarists - Please unite!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lmw80

Aquarium Advice Addict
I saw this on another aquarium forum site, and I could not believe my eyes. I am hoping that all aquarium forums and aquarists alike will unite and send an e-mail or do whatever else we can to try and stop this woman from selling these:

http://www.bubblegear.8k.com/catalog.html

IMO, it is a heinous act of animal abuse, and I can't understand why anyone would make or buy these!

Please share this with other aquarists!

must be aiming for the same person who'll keep them in the little cup lfs insist on selling them in? thats terrible :(

OK, Lori...I agree with you 100%. What do you suggest? Do you think sending email to this person might have an effect? Aquarists aren't going to be the people who will want to buy this sort of thing. Whatever you want to do about it...count me in...I'll help in any way I can.

I have no idea what to do...

My first thought, is writing a letter to the ASPCA or other animals rights organizations to see if they can help. As far as I know, there are currently no animals rights laws for fish...maybe we can help set a precedent here...

Anyone else have any suggestions?

8O I'm sure the creator of those things didn't put too much thought into what it'd be like to be put in a little plastic container and taken on a rollercoaster ride all day. Every day. :?

8O

Just when you thought you had seen it all..... I am sure this person thinks they have just the most clever idea in the world, and they have not a clue. Why not use a fake fish?

Does anyone recall back in the 70's the acrylic platform shoes (I was just a child then, so forgive me if I have it wrong... :lol: ) that had things inside them, and I really wanna say there were some with fish in them. They were probably fake, but this reminds me of it.

I am all for taking measures to stop this handbag from being widely distributed, and am very hopeful that there will be few who would be interested in purchasing it, especially at that price. PETA might like to hear about it.

i remember the guy in the movie, "i'm gonna get you, sucka" who had platforms with goldfish in them. i always thought it was just a joke.

i sent them an email, but they'll probably just delete it.

PETA just got an email from me and I suggest that everyone who reads this take a moment and send them one as well. I have no idea if they care one way or the other about fish, but the more they hear about this, the more likely they will be to do something about it.

Here is my idea... I say we elect one member to compose an email letter... I suggest someone that knows A LOT about proper betta care and is good with words... I suggest that person read this page http://www.bubblegear.8k.com/about.html Where they talk about how "safe" their design is for the fish, then address the issues... Then I think the elected person post their letter here so any of us can copy and paste and email it to them as well. They are bound to read one of them. I also suggest that a few good links be added to the email message so they can read more than just a few people's simple opinions... Those are my thoughts on the matter... but something does need do be done... one might think no one would spend that kind of money... but they will... No offense to any women on this site, but come up with any odd design at all, call it fashion, and there is some woman out there that will buy it... Perhaps all the women here no MUCH better but there are pleanty of women that are just going to say "oh how cute" or "I have to have that" That's just how it is... I feel so lucky to be a man and be able to wear blue jeans and a t-shirt and not care about "fashion" Everybody's idea of "fashion" is definitely different cause those bags look hidious to me... like I said, I feel fortunate to be a man :roll:

I agree it's a terrible concept.. but since the person isn't actually selling any fish I don't see how they can be held accountable for anything. Also at those prices I would be shocked if even one unit was sold.

Still, it's in bad taste and you can count me in to do whatever is possible.

millipede said:
Here is my idea... I say we elect one member to compose an email letter... I suggest someone that knows A LOT about proper betta care and is good with words... I suggest that person read this page http://www.bubblegear.8k.com/about.html Where they talk about how "safe" their design is for the fish, then address the issues... Then I think the elected person post their letter here so any of us can copy and paste and email it to them as well. They are bound to read one of them. I also suggest that a few good links be added to the email message so they can read more than just a few people's simple opinions... Those are my thoughts on the matter... but something does need do be done... one might think no one would spend that kind of money... but they will... No offense to any women on this site, but come up with any odd design at all, call it fashion, and there is some woman out there that will buy it... Perhaps all the women here no MUCH better but there are pleanty of women that are just going to say "oh how cute" or "I have to have that" That's just how it is... I feel so lucky to be a man and be able to wear blue jeans and a t-shirt and not care about "fashion" Everybody's idea of "fashion" is definitely different cause those bags look hidious to me... like I said, I feel fortunate to be a man :roll:

I just want to be clear, if anyone writes an email and wishes to use AA.com as an endorsement of said email, AAron and I will have to approve it. You may write in your email that you are a member of this forum and that you will post about their abuse, but nothing is endorsed by this site unless it is approved by Aaron and myself. This probably won't be an issue, but the verbage will have to be in keeping with this sites standards for endorsement from this site.

Next order of business, I highly suggest another method than PETA, fighting idiots with extremists is kinda like going fly hunting with a 12 guage shotgun.

And for those who are creating their own letters to send. Be clear and mature in your emails.

Letters that are threatening in nature do not get a response. They get deleted. If you go too far, they get you in jail. Simply state the facts.

Yes, people, please be mature and informational in your letters. Please don't threaten, as I believe we are all above that level on this site. I did not post this topic for AA as a whole to do something about, so please, like reefrunner said, do not think that you can just say things on behalf of AA. I wrote this post so that we, as a community of aquarists may come together.

Does anyone think anyone in congress will care enough about this?

reefrunner69 said:
I highly suggest another method than PETA, fighting idiots with extremists is kinda like going fly hunting with a 12 guage shotgun.

I agree they are not the answer. Try googling the words PETA, euthanization, and terrorism.

I've googling for an Animal Rights group/forum that I would consider contacting for guidence regarding laws, etc that may play a part in this. But I can't find any that I would consider non-extremist. Does anyone know of a NON-Extremist group that might be worth contacting?

I just sent an email to the company. I agree that PETA is too extreme and probably not the best answer. They turn most people off and do more harm than good.

lmw80, I really doubt anyone in Congress would care about this, but you never know. Miracles can happen. Maybe there are some aquarists among them.

I'm going to google for an organization that might be good to help out, too. We've got to do something, this is unbelievable. No, wait. Sadly, it's totally believable. :(

reefrunner69 said:
Next order of business, I highly suggest another method than PETA, fighting idiots with extremists is kinda like going fly hunting with a 12 guage shotgun.

Thank goodness there is someone that agrees with me. People for the Eating of Tasty Animals are way too extreme. (Funny picture goes through head of whale tipping over boat of PETA protestors a couple of years back) Frankly, if it profits, they won't do anything but delete emails. If it doesn't, they won't do anything but delete emails.

There is nothing more illegal about this than the guy on ebay selling 1000s of them in little bitty cups that don't get fed. It is angering, and I don't like it, but it's legal. Sorry folks, I'm all about storming the castle, but this fight was decided long ago.

OK, maybe I shouldn't have sent PETA an email. I don't know who they are or anything about them except that they have something to do with animal rights. AA.com was not mentioned anywhere in it though. If you say they are extremist, I'll have to take your word for it. On the other hand, anyone who is enough of an idiot (my opinion) to come up with and try to market something like this betta bag deserves no better than the craziest bunch we can sic on them. Any letter you all want to come up with and agree on, I'll endorse it. :evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom