Aquarium Busters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Allivymar

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was in the UK over the Xmas holidays. While there, we went to a place called Birdworld, where of course I found an aquarium exhibit LOL

One of the tanks they had was an aquarium buster tank, complete with an explanation of how they get calls all the time from folks wanting to donate fish which got WAY too large for the home aquarium. In the tank was 5 pacus, a large cichlid I couldn't identify and a red tail catfish. In the pic you can see how large the pacus are (the redtail is even larger, but he's in the back of the tank; my guess is over 5 feet long). Is a pretty clear example of why doing research before buying is a really good idea; these beasts are huge. My nephew is in the pic for size comparison:

OMG, that is such an awesome pic, Alli ! Welcome back, I'm glad you had a good time ! :)

At the Museum of Science and Discovery in Fort Lauderdale there were Pacus and RTS about that same size, swimming in their enormous display aquarium in the lobby ... fish so huge it kind of shocks you that they are being sold right in our LFS. I was in such awe all I could do was stand frozen, staring at their enormity.

I am so glad you posted this pic, it is a real eye-opener !

Welcome back Alli! Did you bring back some tea for everyone? :wink:

I think it's cool that the place will accept fish that large. I saw a full size pacu in the Baltimore Aquarium, and I can't believe they are sold in my lfs.

Sorry shaw; the largest size package of PG tips we could find was only 240 teabags...that should last us around 4 months LOL

Yeah I was pretty blown away with how big those fish are (although my nephew thought they were "brilliant!") even tho I intellectually know they get to be around 3 feet long. Its one thing to read it, another to see it. Unfortunately Birdworld no longer has room for any more large fish; theres about 7 total in that tank and its topped out bioload wise.

Those are REALLY big! At the Chiang Mai zoo in northern Thailand, I saw a Silver Arrowana and a Red Tailed Catfish - each was between 4 and 5 FEET long! 8O

It's neat to see that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom