Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-07-2004, 06:07 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Aquarium in restaurant...

http://www.icm-corp.com/burjcomplete.htm

Hope this link works. In case you're interested...

It's pics of an aquarium in the Burj Al Arab hotel in Dubai. The hotel is 7 star, and the tallest in the world. I live about 5 mintues away from it. The aquarium is in the centre of a restaurant (which I've eaten in ) and is unbelievable!

"Burj Al Arab's underwater restaurant
Guests take a short submarine ride from the Burj Al Arab hotel lobby to reach the hotel's undersea Al Mahara seafood restaurant. Seated diners view teeming Arabian Gulf ocean life in a hangar size aquarium tank through a long curving wall of sizable picture windows."

p.s. its not a real submarine lol... more like an amusement park ride in an elevator.

Old 04-07-2004, 06:16 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Looks like that would be an awesome place to eat!! If you could stop looking at the tank long enough not to poke yourself with your fork.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
Old 04-07-2004, 06:20 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

The only unfortunate thing is that if you're enjoying your dinner which includes fish, it puts you off a bit when the waitress points out a gorgeous fish in the tank and says thats the type you're eating, as happened to me lol
Old 04-07-2004, 08:29 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
it puts you off a bit when the waitress points out a gorgeous fish in the tank and says thats the type you're eating, as happened to me lol

That would me too. She wasn't very smart was she? a lot of people would get mad about something like that.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 04-07-2004, 09:11 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
That would be a pretty cool tank. There's a polynesian restaurant near me that has individual tanks on each wall in every booth. I can't remember what type of fish are in them though. It's been a while. Maybe I'll take my camera along next time I go...

Quote:
points out a gorgeous fish in the tank and says thats the type you're eating
Not much different than a lobster tank at a seafood place...
Old 04-07-2004, 09:25 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
Quote:
it puts you off a bit when the waitress points out a gorgeous fish in the tank and says thats the type you're eating
LOL, I was eating a tin of sardines and had a random thought..."Hey, these are the about the same size as my fish!" I had to throw the tin away...

Awesome tank...I like when I go a place and then am surprised to see cool fish tanks, like the mall in Dulles, VA.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:50 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

LOL, After getting 3 shrimp for my tank, I stopped eating them altogether... then the sharks I had at the time (which grew very rapidly) decided to have a feast of shrimp for dinner... I can eat them again now seeing as I don't have any for pets, but it still took me a while...
Old 04-07-2004, 10:06 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Not much different than a lobster tank at a seafood place...
And I've never done the lobster tank thing... i've never been able to see something alive then decide to eat it
Old 04-07-2004, 11:44 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oooo. What a lovely tank (and restaurant!). Must be a very cool place to eat - take pics for us when you eat there aussiegal!

Heh, erm, I have no problem eating something I've seen alive previously. I love to fish and we eat the keepers. When I was younger, friends had a farm we used to go to every 4th of July for BBQ; its a real working farm, and the BBQ subject came from their fields. I've gone deerhunting (once; didn't see a single deer LOL) and I certainly eat venison. I figure if I'm not a vegetarian, there are certain realities I need to be aware of.

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:52 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Wow, then you certainly shouldn't go to China aussiegal, because in all the top of the line restaurants there, they take you out to their live holding tanks of all sorts of animals (chickens, fish, frogs, snakes, etc.) and you get to pick out the exact one you want to eat. That's pretty much how they do it in all the best (i.e. freshest) restaurants there. It can be pretty disturbing. There's one dish called drunken shrimp where they take a wine sauce and a plate of live shrimp to your table, and then mix the two and put a lid on the container. You can see the shrimp jumping around and slowly dying while taking in the sauce. Very disturbing, yet very yummy.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com