Aquarium in restaurant...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AussieGal

Aquarium Advice Activist
http://www.icm-corp.com/burjcomplete.htm

Hope this link works. In case you're interested...

It's pics of an aquarium in the Burj Al Arab hotel in Dubai. The hotel is 7 star, and the tallest in the world. I live about 5 mintues away from it. The aquarium is in the centre of a restaurant (which I've eaten in :eek:) and is unbelievable!

"Burj Al Arab's underwater restaurant
Guests take a short submarine ride from the Burj Al Arab hotel lobby to reach the hotel's undersea Al Mahara seafood restaurant. Seated diners view teeming Arabian Gulf ocean life in a hangar size aquarium tank through a long curving wall of sizable picture windows."

p.s. its not a real submarine lol... more like an amusement park ride in an elevator.

Looks like that would be an awesome place to eat!! If you could stop looking at the tank long enough not to poke yourself with your fork.

The only unfortunate thing is that if you're enjoying your dinner which includes fish, it puts you off a bit when the waitress points out a gorgeous fish in the tank and says thats the type you're eating, as happened to me lol :puppydogeyes:

it puts you off a bit when the waitress points out a gorgeous fish in the tank and says thats the type you're eating, as happened to me lol

That would me too. She wasn't very smart was she? a lot of people would get mad about something like that.

That would be a pretty cool tank. There's a polynesian restaurant near me that has individual tanks on each wall in every booth. I can't remember what type of fish are in them though. It's been a while. Maybe I'll take my camera along next time I go...

points out a gorgeous fish in the tank and says thats the type you're eating
Not much different than a lobster tank at a seafood place...

it puts you off a bit when the waitress points out a gorgeous fish in the tank and says thats the type you're eating

LOL, I was eating a tin of sardines and had a random thought..."Hey, these are the about the same size as my fish!" I had to throw the tin away...

Awesome tank...I like when I go a place and then am surprised to see cool fish tanks, like the mall in Dulles, VA.

LOL, After getting 3 shrimp for my tank, I stopped eating them altogether... then the sharks I had at the time (which grew very rapidly) decided to have a feast of shrimp for dinner... I can eat them again now seeing as I don't have any for pets, but it still took me a while...

Not much different than a lobster tank at a seafood place...

And I've never done the lobster tank thing... i've never been able to see something alive then decide to eat it :crazyeyes:

Oooo. What a lovely tank (and restaurant!). Must be a very cool place to eat - take pics for us when you eat there aussiegal!

Heh, erm, I have no problem eating something I've seen alive previously. I love to fish and we eat the keepers. When I was younger, friends had a farm we used to go to every 4th of July for BBQ; its a real working farm, and the BBQ subject came from their fields. I've gone deerhunting (once; didn't see a single deer LOL) and I certainly eat venison. I figure if I'm not a vegetarian, there are certain realities I need to be aware of.

Wow, then you certainly shouldn't go to China aussiegal, because in all the top of the line restaurants there, they take you out to their live holding tanks of all sorts of animals (chickens, fish, frogs, snakes, etc.) and you get to pick out the exact one you want to eat. That's pretty much how they do it in all the best (i.e. freshest) restaurants there. It can be pretty disturbing. There's one dish called drunken shrimp where they take a wine sauce and a plate of live shrimp to your table, and then mix the two and put a lid on the container. You can see the shrimp jumping around and slowly dying while taking in the sauce. Very disturbing, yet very yummy.

Very disturbing, yet very yummy.
I think I'd have to be drunken as well to eat that. Maybe if there was some butter, garlic, and a hot skillet?

I figure if I'm not a vegetarian, there are certain realities I need to be aware of.
Amen, sister. Like Darth Vader said in that Lion cartoon, it's the "circle of life". Don't get me wrong, I'm not into hunting as long as the grocery store is right next door or mcdonalds is down the street. Without these conveniences though, if I'm hungry, and you're lower on the food chain, then butter and garlic it is...

I once saw a movie called "circle of iron". it had david carridine in it and was about zen buddhism. he was teaching a student while resting by a river...

teacher: a fish saved my life once
student: really? how's that?
teacher: I ate him.

Wowwee, those fish tanks make me drool with envy . . .
Am I the only one put off by all these eating-fish remarks?? 8O I've never liked the taste of seafood. The last time I even liked fish sticks or tuna fish salad was like 3rd or 4th grade. On top of that, I'm now vegetarian, and . . . well . . . blech blech blech! I think I'd die if I went to China and saw someone pick out some animal and then EAT IT. :( UGH. :evil: The reason I'm a vegetarian is that I like animals too much . . .
Well. Enough of that topic! I can only say I'm glad I never ate a fish and then had someone point out to me which one I was eating; that would have been horrid. Thanx for the link; I have folder on my 'puter where I put all the pictures of tanks that I'm green with envy for. Those definitely got plopped in there!

fish

Personally, I could handle any of it. I'm not to great at rollercoasters and such, but when it comes to food... I have a strong stomach...
Purplestarfish, good for you... more people should be vegetarians. Have you ever eaten jello? Did you read my trivia question about jello? My wife and I are essentially Vegans but we have a few exceptions... fish is one of them. Out of all the meats, fish is the best one for you. And for those who say they couldn't see something living and then eat it, when's the last time you ate some chicken nuggets or a burger? I'll tell you something, those fish that you might see and then eat, they are treated much better than those burgers and nuggets were. Most cattle and poultry are pumped with hormones and antibiotics... If you've never seen what a poultry house looks like I urge you to look it up. We have chicken farms everywhere here... man does that stink, literally... You'd have a hard time walking through the chicken house they are packed in so tightly. They are pumped up so full of growth hormones that their bodies sometimes grow tooooo fast for their legs and their legs break... and from what I've heard, people with firsthand experience, those ones are often just left to die... And don't get me started on what caused mad cow........ anyway... fish is the only meat for us...

oh yeah, eggs, who eats eggs? That is something I decided not to eat anymore... Sounds extremely harsh for a comparison, but it's like eating an unborn child. I just can't do it. Doesn't seem right to me. Eating an embryo... just weird.

If you've never seen what a poultry house looks like I urge you to look it up.
I know a guy who worked at a chicken plant. He lasted one day. From the stories he told, I don't blame him...

it's like eating an unborn child. ...Eating an embryo... just weird.
The eggs aren't fertilized, so it's not an embryo. There's no baby chicken growing inside of it. It's, well, an egg.

Does anybody know of any other restuarants or places with cool tanks?

Let's just keep this in line folks, we all have our personal preferences in which types of food to eat. I just ask that no one get judgemental please. Thanks much.

Personally I'd have no problem eating seafood in that type of restaurant, my largest tank is easily visible from my dinner table at home.

Also, while I'm not a hunter, I am a fisherman. I do mostly catch and release, but I keep some for the table also. I would have to say it does give you a different perspective to take a living creature and turn it into dinner. I feel a responsibility to not be wasteful, and to be respectful of the fish I kill and eat.

I feel a responsibility to not be wasteful, and to be respectful of the fish I kill and eat.

I agree, I am a hunter and used to love to fish now I just get fish from my uncle that has a shrimp boat. I have no problem killing something for food. I just don't know if I want to sit in a resturant and have them point out what I'm eating. Might not bother me, after all you have to skin and gut a deer in order to prepare it for the freezer.

My menu reads like Taz's..
I have eaten at home and when abroad:

(counting the young renamed types and the adults..)
Beef, Buffalo, Oxen, Venison, Moose, Elk, ,Pronghorn, goat, sheep, beefalo, horse, burro, pig, javelina, dog, cat, ostrich, parrot, various snakes, various, lizards, various insects (survival course..fired in nut butter and animal greas...MM-mm), chickens, snails, ducks, geese, swan, peacock, heron, ,tern, pelican, guinea hen, partridge, quail, wood grouse, turkeys, finches& various corvids (that survival course again), bear, racoon, opossum, oryx, sprinbok, and dried hippo, stoat, pine martin, seal, some type of fried whale adn whale fat jerky.Then, varied piscean animals and crustacians with shark and some oddities in the mix. Freshwater I haven eaten the standard fare, various catfish, carp, muskie pike, eel and recently smoked gouramy (which I would guess is snakeskin by the size markings and caudal).a few unknown animals when abroad,
Anything served by others and left out by name were unknown species.....

And I eat a hearty diet of plants too. Hey! ..I am democratic. Plants/animals...life I snuff out to fire up my own. And most are delicious... :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom