"Aquarium Maintenance" notebook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngelFishGirl

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just bought a special notebook and folder specifically for aquarium maintenance! I want to get everyone's opinions on how to organize it and what to add into it. The first few pages are going to be saved for water tests/water change schedules.

I know I want to have a spot where it shows my stock. And how it changes. I am converting my tank to angel-only soon. (Besides bottom dwellers)
I will have two pairs of breeding angels - so I know I need a spot to mark down the spawn times. Anything else I should record about them?

What else should I write in the notebook?
All opinions welcome :)

Great idea! I would record things such as new/updated hardware including lights, heater, and filter. Feeding schedule, types of food, changes in diet. Spawning occurrences (you mentioned that), number of eggs, size of brood, % infertile eggs. Changes in planted stock, fertilizers and other water additives. Water change schedule. Fish behavior (bullying, etc).

Great idea! I would record things such as new/updated hardware including lights, heater, and filter. Feeding schedule, types of food, changes in diet. Spawning occurrences (you mentioned that), number of eggs, size of brood, % infertile eggs. Changes in planted stock, fertilizers and other water additives. Water change schedule. Fish behavior (bullying, etc).

Perfect! Nice list! Thank you :)
I am so excited to put it together! I'm only stressing about how to organize all the information. It's only a notebook after all. :/ maybe I should buy myself a sectioned 3 ring binder with loose leaf paper instead?

I am kind of an extremely organized person and they way I do it is that I have a notebook beside the tank to record water changes/ferts/behaviors noticed/day to day stuff.
Then I record other things on a monthly basis into the computer like tests/stock/equipment changes/growth of fish and a lot of things related to breeding.
Maybe not for everyone but it works for me!

Either type of notebook should be fine; when the spiral bound or journal style book fills up just get another one.

You could simply have 2-3 columns:
Date
Time
Event

Date is self explanatory.
Time is optional but it was helpful when going through cycling or dosing meds.
Event is basically what you observed or did. This could include anything from test parameters, changes in stock, observations, questions, etc. I test the tap water from time to time and this can be helpful in case params start to drift in your tank. Also, I am supposed to add root tabs at 30 or 45 days (depending on the type) and I can never remember what I did last week. Noting how many and of what type added and observing plant growth can be helpful in fine tuning requirements.
I record all of my notes in an Excel spreadsheet on a pc. I monitor only two tanks and highlight the entry based on which tank it pertains to.

Back
Top Bottom