Aquarium repair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

indianabluefin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 75 gallon tank that had its 20"x48"glass broken out. Now my question is can I use the glass from a 55 gallon tank to replace it? There is a thickness difference

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would NOT use that. Although the piece is the same size, the pressure will be much higher due to the volume of water. Bad choice IMO.

I would NOT use that. Although the piece is the same size, the pressure will be much higher due to the volume of water. Bad choice IMO.

Yes , that is what I've been thinking. And I don't want 75 gallons of water on the floor. Just too much difference in the thickness for comfort. Thanks I guess I needed an outside voice to tilt the scales.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a solution that works that I used before. You take a piece the size of the crack of glass and silicone it down and silicone the sides.

Check this youtuber out and find his video on repairing a crack in the glass.

The king of DIY.

If the glass is the same size, there is the same amount of pressure whether it be a 55 or 75. The pressure is determined by the height not the gallonage. However, if the 75 didn't have a brace because the glass was thicker, it would have to be braced. The glass on a 55 is rather thin, on any I have looked at.

Back
Top Bottom