Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't see a problem

Old 11-15-2013, 10:14 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My bf's uncle owns a flooring business so I asked him. He said if your floors are properly sealed, a bit of spillage during wcs won't hurt. Just don't leave them sit for any length of time. He said its either due to the change in weather or you have too much weight and your joists are starting to have an issue. Properly laid hardwood should not squeak for any reason.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmiller View Post
My bf's uncle owns a flooring business so I asked him. He said if your floors are properly sealed, a bit of spillage during wcs won't hurt. Just don't leave them sit for any length of time. He said its either due to the change in weather or you have too much weight and your joists are starting to have an issue. Properly laid hardwood should not squeak for any reason.
thank you so much for the reassurance. if not too much trouble, can you also ask if what he meant by too much weight? i have a regular 29gal tank with approximately ~40lb live rock, sand, and some reef equipments sitting on top of a sturdy dresser in my 2nd floor bedroom. could the combination of my setup be "too much weight"?
Old 11-15-2013, 11:21 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Your floor joists can only support so much weight, too know how much you essentially need a degree in structural engineering. As long as you have the dresser sitting perpendicular to the joists, is supported by multiple joists, and the joists aren't rotting you should be fine.

In this case my bigger concern would be the dresser. They aren't built to hold that much weight. Water weighs about 8 lbs per gallon, plus the weight of the rock and tank. Some older furniture could probably handle it long term, but most modern stuff is too flimsy.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:28 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

my dresser is very well made, none of those MDF stuffs. i was surprised by its quality on the day i picked it up. when it comes to whether or not it can hold the weight of the tank, i have no worries
Old 11-15-2013, 11:37 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree a little water won't hurt, the cracks probably from the seasonal change. And typically you don't have to worry about weight until you approach 200 gallons.

Tags
age, aquarium, ate, damage, water, wood

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com