Aquariums Falling Through Floors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cerulean_blue

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone ever worry about keeping their aquarium on a second floor or in an apartment and crashing through the floor? Or causing some sort of damage?

I know it's probably safe, but for example I have a 55gal, and with everything in it, probably ways around 700lbs. And I always have nightmares about coming home and finding something horrific...

Are most 2nd floors and apartment complexes built with certain weight capacities?

Yes there was a thread about this earlier. Landlords probably don't even allow big tanks.

I don't know but I have a 55G with a ton of stuff in it with and 20G on one tank holder it is near 810LBS!!! I think one day it might just fall through the floor!!! I don't know if floors have capacity. I have 4 tanks in one room hoping I won't fall with it If it does!

cerulean_blue said:
Does anyone ever worry about keeping their aquarium on a second floor or in an apartment and crashing through the floor? Or causing some sort of damage?

I know it's probably safe, but for example I have a 55gal, and with everything in it, probably ways around 700lbs. And I always have nightmares about coming home and finding something horrific...

Are most 2nd floors and apartment complexes built with certain weight capacities?

I worried about this too before I got mine! I actually bought a 46 instead of a 72 because of it. I live on the 4th floor of an apartment building built in the 1930s.

I researched it for months, there's a TON of material on the Internet about it. Honestly, unless it's over a 100 gallons I'm sure you're fine. I'm sure somebody will chime in here with specifics. A lot of it has to do with weight distribution.

Doesn't matter if you have 4 tanks in one room it's all on how much weight in a small area. And it depends when the place was built, where the tank is located, etc

corinne118s said:
Doesn't matter if you have 4 tanks in one room it's all on how much weight in a small area. And it depends when the place was built, where the tank is located, etc

Oh I don't really know this stuff. It makes me worry less:)

corinne118s said:
Yes there was a thread about this earlier. Landlords probably don't even allow big tanks.

Any chance you have the link to this thread or what to search on for the lazy folk? :)

JoeyGeeze said:
I worried about this too before I got mine! I actually bought a 46 instead of a 72 because of it. I live on the 4th floor of an apartment building built in the 1930s.

I researched it for months, there's a TON of material on the Internet about it. Honestly, unless it's over a 100 gallons I'm sure you're fine. I'm sure somebody will chime in here with specifics. A lot of it has to do with weight distribution.

Joey - did you find any particular helpful websites or just google it?

And I've had my 55gal up for a year with no issue in a 4th floor apartment. I may be moving and thinking about upgrading, wanted to know how big I can go :)

cerulean_blue said:
Joey - did you find any particular helpful websites or just google it?

I googled it, over and over and over again LOL. I mean there's discussions all over the web plus informative articles. Unless you get a structural engineer in there to look at your building, you'll probably never know. It depends on the placement of the tank on the beams, if it's by a wall instead of middle of the floor, if the stand distributes properly (full stands are better than 4 legged stands), etc.

Also, if your building was built 50 years ago, as opposed to 10 years ago, you're probably better off. I know it sounds weird because you would think its old, but they don't make things like they used to haha! My building is 80 years old and built like a fortress!!

Thanks for the replies! Yea I think I'm safe in my current situation because it's position in the corner by 2 load bearing walls. But when I look for a new place I am going to try to get on the first floor!

And yea things built 50 years ago is totally better quality, with the exception of the 70's and especially 80's. Buildings during those periods are notorious for poor quality.

The tank is not gonna fall through the floor. I mean of you add a 1,000 gallon tank then maybe. Keep the tank along the wall preferably a load bearing wall that will ensure the added safety. You wouldn't put it in the middle of the room( the weakest part)

Anyway here's a good read.

http://www.african-cichlid.com/Structure.htm

The tank is not gonna fall through the floor. I mean of you add a 1,000 gallon tank then maybe. Keep the tank along the wall preferably a load bearing wall that will ensure the added safety. You wouldn't put it in the middle of the room( the weakest part)

Anyway here's a good read.

http://www.african-cichlid.com/Structure.htm

GAHHH! I just read that and was JUST about to post it! Haha beat me to it, it is an amazing read. I recommend reading the whole thing, as an engineer I enjoyed it, some might get bored :angel:

But there is a summary at the end which should make most people feel safe.

my anxiety just went up because of this thread..then over thinking what would happen with my 55G in my room..thanks alot everybody haha.

GAHHH! I just read that and was JUST about to post it! Haha beat me to it, it is an amazing read. I recommend reading the whole thing, as an engineer I enjoyed it, some might get bored :angel:

But there is a summary at the end which should make most people feel safe.

Haha I'm fast lol. I found it very interesting as well and as a fire chief found it very educational. And like you said if they read the whole thing it might put there minds at ease.

Last edited:
i tell you what is the best thing stop building your flats out of straw and wood and build them out of brick and concrete like here in england my mates got 180g tank on 10th floor im going for 150g on 1st floor remember 3 little pigs story

keenfish said:
i tell you what is the best thing stop building your flats out of straw and wood and build them out of brick and concrete like here in england my mates got 180g tank on 10th floor im going for 150g on 1st floor remember 3 little pigs story

You do know that most of the homes here (England) also have wooden floors on the first floor up and some have them on the ground floor

I know my tanks won't fall through the floor, however everytime I walk by one of them I hear a very ominous creaking sound.... I don't know if it's the floor creaking or the wooden stand the tank is on!

not floor but my turtle tank started to break my stand.... replaced it before it totally collapsed

Back
Top Bottom