Aquatic Moss Balls. Good or Bad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lovin Fish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello. Petco just opened here in Juneau last month. My 10 year old loves the "fake" floating moss balls at Petco (really Java moss wrapped around styrafoam). He wants some in his tank, but I am so afraid of Petco! Their tanks are horrible fish cemetaries! I don't even think the balls will stay alive long...I've never had any before. These things cost $5 each and are in a tank with guppies, some alive some dead.
I am leaning towards disappointing him and not getting them. But, if I were to get them, how would I go about treating them in Quarentine to rid them of any and ALL parasites, fungus, bacteria what have you.

Last edited:
Thats pretty odd. I bought a moss ball from Petco a while back but they were all individually stocked in a plastic container filled with water placed right above the big tank filled only with aquatic plants. :/

Thats pretty odd. I bought a moss ball from Petco a while back but they were all individually stocked in a plastic container filled with water placed right above the big tank filled only with aquatic plants. :/

They have an area in the corner with some "aquatic" plants in fishless tanks, but the sinking algae balls and floating moss balls are in with the fish.

I decided it'd be better just to make my own floating moss balls for my son. Shouldn't be too hard.

Thanks!

They have an area in the corner with some "aquatic" plants in fishless tanks, but the sinking algae balls and floating moss balls are in with the fish.

I decided it'd be better just to make my own floating moss balls for my son. Shouldn't be too hard.

Thanks!

Yea sounds like a fun arts and crafts time :)
& im sure your fishies will enjoy them too if its sunk down at the bottom, my adfs love having the moss ball on top of him. sounds silly but it seems they enjoy it as a blanket of some sort. hehe

you should update and post with the final results! :D

Yea sounds like a fun arts and crafts time :)
& im sure your fishies will enjoy them too if its sunk down at the bottom, my adfs love having the moss ball on top of him. sounds silly but it seems they enjoy it as a blanket of some sort. hehe

you should update and post with the final results! :D

I will gladly record the process! Don't know when I will start (I have a lot of other things taking up my time...not enough hours in the day!)

I had a bunch in my tank (75 gallon) and the reeked havoc on my filters!! I pulled them all out! And they never stayed in one place either.

I had a bunch in my tank (75 gallon) and the reeked havoc on my filters!! I pulled them all out! And they never stayed in one place either.

Thanks! I will definetely be sure and anchor them down as secure as possible far away from the filter!! :)

Back
Top Bottom