Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-19-2012, 03:26 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyxx
I think Bettas are a good start, I've seen a few people asking about breeding them on the forum lately.
Right, the earliest I can do this by is tonight, because I'm busy today. Itnwill be here this evening!

Old 07-19-2012, 03:41 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I agree! Would love to see one about betta.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:41 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay, funnily enough I was thinking the same thing !
Old 07-19-2012, 07:23 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oto!
Old 07-19-2012, 12:16 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald76
Oto!
Here it is. I had a hard time getting some info. Some of this was wdocumented by me and some was info I found on the web. The only reason it's not all written by me is because it was an accidental spawning. BREEDING OTOCINCLUS

Breeding tank size: ten gallons
Number of Ottos : 3 1F 2M
Tank temperature: 25 c

Conditioning: to condition Ottos you will need a tank which has algae . Supplement their diet with blanched spinach or zucchini. Driftwood carries algae and is therefore a good decor for a breeding setup. They are herbivorous but I have been able to feed mine frozen bloodworms. The female will develop a rounder stomach due to being filled with eggs, whereas the males will remain streamlined.

Breeding :
Spawning is triggered by water changes using water that is a few degrees cooler than that temperature of the water in the tank. Like cory catfish the Ottos form a T shape. Not much more is known on breeding because it is accidental .
Old 07-19-2012, 12:33 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here is the betta aricle. It may be missing some info because I have to go to kickboxing so I had to rush a bit
Old 07-19-2012, 12:33 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

BETTA BREEDING
Okay here's the deal with bettas, they can be deadly when breeding!
For breeding bettas here's what I would do:
Find a male and female fighters and supplement their diet with freeze dried and live foods for a few weeks. Get a 10 gallon tank And put a divider in it. Let them see each other. I used to use margarine lids to support the bubble nests. Heavily plant both sides of the tank, and hopefully the male will start to build the bubble nest. When all is ready remove the divider and let the begin to get to know each other . When the male is comfortable with the female he may invite her under is bubble nest. Be warned that they will fight and sometimes it can be fatal. He will begin to wrap himself around the female and ' quiver' . She will release the female and she will, fall to the bottom for a bit, then she'll go back for more. This can happen about 7 times depending on how old the pair are. He will collect the eggs and put them in the bubble nest. This is why you don't want any substrate as it will make it easier for the male to collect the eggs. After spawning the male will chase the female off and he will be protective of the nest. At this stage you should remove the female. Leave the male until the fry are free swimming. You will need an additional 2-3 gallon jars for the male fry and the females can stay in a 10-20 gallon tank. Don't keep the parents in the same tank as the fry. These fish can proberly lay from 50-400 eggs per spawn.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:50 PM   #18
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Moved to AOT.

Just a word of caution, I would be careful about writing breeding articles on fish you have never bred. Breeding can certainly happen under a variety of circumstances, but having your own experience to contribute is very valuable for helping others. It allows for more specifics of what does and does not work.
Congrats on getting an oto spawn. I have tank bred otos, but there are not many tank bred ones in the hobby since their spawns are often accidental.

EDIT: I am going to add that a big part of breeding is also getting the eggs to hatch and then saving offspring. Plenty of egg layers will lay eggs without a male even present, the trick is getting eggs that can actually hatch and fry that can be saved and raised. You may want to consider adding that sort of info whenever you are able to.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:54 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutangel04
Moved to AOT.

Just a word of caution, I would be careful about writing breeding articles on fish you have never bred. Breeding can certainly happen under a variety of circumstances, but having your own experience to contribute is very valuable for helping others. It allows for more specifics of what does and does not work.
Congrats on getting an oto spawn. I have tank bred otos, but there are not many tank bred ones in the hobby since their spawns are often accidental.
Thank you. At the top I've listed the ones I have bred and they are the only ones I'll do.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com