Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-27-2010, 12:06 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
I think it's kind of like the oil incident.. they want to appear that they are doing something until they find a viable solution.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:55 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I shoot the darn things. We have tried lake michigan as well as the many rivers that lead to it via chicago and the closest we have gotten to the big lake is lasalle/peru area where the asian carp are in great abundance.(yes I shoot them from a moving boat...aka aerial bowfishing) we take in a good 100-150 a day and we have been doing this for years and have hardly made a dent.

Lake Calumet find is about as rare as the angler catching a sturgeon from shore at the indiana dunes to the SAME angler who caught the northern snakehead at burnham harbor outside of chicago's chinatown.

This is a big political fiasco. I for one try to make a difference with my friends weekly with taking these things out.
I am an avid angler and these fish are truly garbage. Yes I shoot them among other highly invasive species in illinois waterways.

BigJim, if you are interested I can since we launch out of the triple K conservation area alot(joliet/arsenal road exit on rt 66 aka I55) If you dont want the corpses you can sell em to the asians who bring trailers with coolers on them or take them home and toss em in your garden.

There is NO solution to this, unless they completely seal off LM from its tributaries.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:38 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

For the first time ever I have seen them in my local river here in east central MO. We were boating along a stretch we have fished for years and a handful flew out of the water. A Twenty pounder found its way into my friends face and broke his nose. The water in the river is spring fed and clear where we are, but gets dirty fast as it approaches the Mississippi. Hopefully these loners stay downriver and never truely spread up here.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:18 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yep, they can be deadly to a recreational boater or watercrafter even anglers and waterfowl hunters. That 20# fish hit him at around 80-100 pounds of force. My buddy got 3 ribs broken by getting hit by one of these ugly mothers. Ive been fortunate enough to have had a fractured wrist along with several ray cuts and more bruises then I can count from these guys.

They are deeper in your MO waterways then way up here.

Anglers, its not inhumane to use this method, IDNR actually recommends this method of fishing for these invasive creatures. Run a google search for your state bowfishing association. It takes alot more then talk to combat these baddies.

I am emailing surround err touching states DNR supervisors for more info and up to date listings of both fauna and flora invasive as it seems this list changes every season.

Even if you dont fish, buying a fishing license will fund the DNR's combat of these things.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:06 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've proposed putting a bounty on the fish and shotgun season on carp. The bounty may be feasible. The shotgun season suggestion was more in jest than anything, but it's not any more unrealistic than cutting Illinois off from Lake Michigan.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:41 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Actually thats a great idea however fouling the water with carp guts and the like will do more damage via ammonia poisioning. There are a butt ton of these bastids in the illinois.

This link is not for the squimish but shows the extent of them in the illinois river racing towards LM.
YouTube - Aerial bowfishing with Double Bull

We have competitions that are sponsored by major archery and outdoorsy businesses and the winning purse's are pretty hefty with $$$ and gear.

Home Page

Tags
asian, eat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com