ATO water leak!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beej1254

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm not sure how it happened but the output hose to my aqua lifter came out of my sump and pumped MAYBE 2 gallons of water onto my floor. I'm worried water got under the stand. I have my Hoover carpet scrubber hand tool pressed right up to the edge of the stand and I can see it pulling water. My stand is completely flat against the carpet and I'm worried about what might happen if some water got under. Will it just dry? Will it start to make the carpet moldy and stink and ruin it? I'm not trying to replace the carpets when we move out...but I don't want to have to move the whole tank to dry it if I don't have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

hi,if you want peace of mind you can use a dehumidifier to dry the whole room...

I have overflowed my tank several times I know how you feel , I got up all the water I could , 3 days later carpet was still wet so I sucked up any water left I was shocked got almost as much as I got the first time up , I had a mildew smell about a week till I sprayed a product called odor ban , I'm on a upper level even though its ground level if that make sense , any way I did notice a slight warp in the floor , so I do suggest you try getting as much water up as you can , not letting it soak into the wood sub floor as it can and will warp the floor ,

Thanks for the tips guys! I highly recommend getting a quality carpet scrubber as I was able to suck up a ton of water with both the main unit and the hand tool. I was able to press the hand tool hard onto the carpet and it sucked up the water with ease and thankfully I caught the leak early enough. The other thing that saved me was my tank is right near where carpet meets tile and has a rubber boarder. I was able to take out the rubber and fold the carpet over then prop it up with PVC and blew a double window fan under the carpet for 30 something hours. So far no smell! And everything was relatively dry after the scrubber anyway. I'm really hoping I don't get a nasty surprise when the tank finally moved tho.

Back
Top Bottom