attention canadian with planted tanks!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
basically instead of find out the root of the problem they put a bandaid on it. and everyone knows that bandaids dont help.

This doesn't say anything about banning, it says tight regulation. I'm sure aquatic manufacturers and retailers would just need a permit to sell it.

CaysE said:
This doesn't say anything about banning, it says tight regulation. I'm sure aquatic manufacturers and retailers would just need a permit to sell it.

Agreed, the article says retailers would be required to register with the gov' and keep tight records/ report suspicious purchases etc. So more likely, you might have to show some ID when purchasing the items but a ban seems doubtful.

I didn't see the list, but I would guess that the list contains a number of chemicals that are used regularly by farmers and many others for perfectly legitimate reasons. Banning them outright would cause a significant outcry.

Billy, the list is at the bottom of the linked page.

Those chemicals are definitley everyday items used around the world. I think it makes perfect sense to restrict their sale. I'm sure you won't have a hard time finding it, but like said, just might have to show ID or sign when you do buy it.

i have to agree with devilish here. regardless of if it's a "band-aid", to show my i.d. or have to sign for something to keep my family and country safe is a relatively small inconvenience.

i agree with that to. i originally thought they were banning it. makes sense to regulate it though. but then people will simply find new things to use that are readily available.

The thing is it won't actually stop anything.

How many college kids have you known, or know, that have a fake ID to get into bars? They're that easy to get and make. A fake ID itself is illegal, that doesn't really seem to stop many people. If someone is in the mindset of building a bomb to kill any number of people, having to put together or get a fake ID is going to be the least of their efforts to complete the task.

So then who does this "stop"? All it ends up doing is adding additional and unnecessary costs and hardship to the retailers without solving any problems.

i'm sure an i.d. used for bar-hopping by a minor is put under is much less scrutiny than one used to buy potential bomb making supplies. and while i agree with you, billyz, that someone in the mindset of building a bomb will probably do whatever it takes to accomplish that, don't you think any obstacle that we can put in front of them is worth doing? as far as retailer cost, i'm sure the government has a grant program in place to cover costs incurred by the business to comply with new laws. and inconvenience or hardships, well i think i addressed that clearly in my first reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom