Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-14-2006, 01:07 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

attention canadian with planted tanks!!

if u are using potassium nitrate in your tanks u may want to stock up casue the goverment is planning on banning it. read this and u will understand.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...Story/National

Old 08-14-2006, 03:54 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

What is this world coming to

Old 08-14-2006, 10:59 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to WaterPond Send a message via Yahoo to WaterPond
OMG, stupid government, i don't use it in my tank, but thats just stupid.

Canadian Aquarium Auction!
Old 08-14-2006, 01:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

basically instead of find out the root of the problem they put a bandaid on it. and everyone knows that bandaids dont help.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

This doesn't say anything about banning, it says tight regulation. I'm sure aquatic manufacturers and retailers would just need a permit to sell it.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:19 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaysE
This doesn't say anything about banning, it says tight regulation. I'm sure aquatic manufacturers and retailers would just need a permit to sell it.
Agreed, the article says retailers would be required to register with the gov' and keep tight records/ report suspicious purchases etc. So more likely, you might have to show some ID when purchasing the items but a ban seems doubtful.

I didn't see the list, but I would guess that the list contains a number of chemicals that are used regularly by farmers and many others for perfectly legitimate reasons. Banning them outright would cause a significant outcry.
Old 08-14-2006, 05:53 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Billy, the list is at the bottom of the linked page.

Those chemicals are definitley everyday items used around the world. I think it makes perfect sense to restrict their sale. I'm sure you won't have a hard time finding it, but like said, just might have to show ID or sign when you do buy it.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:30 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i have to agree with devilish here. regardless of if it's a "band-aid", to show my i.d. or have to sign for something to keep my family and country safe is a relatively small inconvenience.

30 Gallon FW. 1 Albino Bushynose Plecostomus, 2 Harlequin Raspboras, and 1 Male German Blue Ram
Old 08-14-2006, 10:24 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

i agree with that to. i originally thought they were banning it. makes sense to regulate it though. but then people will simply find new things to use that are readily available.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:03 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

The thing is it won't actually stop anything.

How many college kids have you known, or know, that have a fake ID to get into bars? They're that easy to get and make. A fake ID itself is illegal, that doesn't really seem to stop many people. If someone is in the mindset of building a bomb to kill any number of people, having to put together or get a fake ID is going to be the least of their efforts to complete the task.

So then who does this "stop"? All it ends up doing is adding additional and unnecessary costs and hardship to the retailers without solving any problems.

Tags
plant, planted, planted tanks, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com