Back ground

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darylb

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys just wondering what you think is the best way to get a back ground black on a tank that's already set up there isn't much room behind the tank

I can't see the picture my phone keeps doing that :/ also I can't get behind it beside my tank to cut it it's in a spot between my chest of draws and a wall

I can't see the picture my phone keeps doing that :/ also I can't get behind it beside my tank to cut it it's in a spot between my chest of draws and a wall
You could paint it on using a roller used for painting behind radiators. It long and narrow and will easily do the job.....

you could cut and measure a piece of black plastic (trash bag I guess would work, some LFS also sell black backgrounds) using the front of the tank as a guide, then weasel it behind and tape it tight.

how careful are you?

Could you do this without emptying the tank ?

I don't see why not as long as you are very very very careful not to get any paint in the water and if your filter is on the back you would need to relocate it for a while (I'm sure this is obvious but worth mentioning). The paint is not going to leach through the glass.

I don't see why not as long as you are very very very careful not to get any paint in the water and if your filter is on the back you would need to relocate it for a while (I'm sure this is obvious but worth mentioning). The paint is not going to leach through the glass.

I was just a little worried about the paint fumes around the tank, I'm thinking I should just tape a tarp over the opening of the tank.

If your going to paint , I recommend using oil based paint . I found when using a water base paint , the coverage on glass comes out with streaks and may need several coats .
I use black paint for freshwater background , true blue color for saltwater .
Odor from paint never was an issue , you could use a small portable fan to speed up the drying time .
If you need to apply a second coat , make sure first coat is dry. Use the foam type brush / roller , that also works best . Regards

I used a trash bag on mine. Just spread a little baby oil onto the black bag and it will stick to the glass. Can be taken off if you change your mind.

Tommyk, great idea !
I had used Vaseline and a black background purchased from the store .
I squeegee the background on, worked well , however I like your idea better !

Back
Top Bottom