Bad Advice...?!?!...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nyghtone

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a question, if I gave someone bad advice would any of you tell me??? I try to only give advice I know is good, and when I'm not sure I try to make sure that I say that. But nevertheless I just realized I have like 100+ posts, and most of it has been replies, and nobody has ever said NO>> NOT RIGHT, haha, just curious???

Thanks, Joshua...

I have noticed that most members will not come right out and tell you your advice was crud, but they will give their own advice and maybe say they do not agree with you.
I have given poor advice in the past and was told in not uncertain terms that the advice was horrible (I don't give advice late at night, or right after I wake up anymore :D)

One of the things about this hobby is that there's hardly ever just one way to do something.. I'm sure the majority of advice given here is based on personal experiences, and we all know what's good for the goose isn't always good for the gander.

You may find that people offer alternative advice to yours, but that doesn't mean your advice is wrong. Having said that, in the few occasions where the answer is cut and dry, someone is bound to correct you... politely hopefully :lol:

Believe me, I have had my advice corrected, and I really, really appreciate it. There is so much "dogma" in this hobby, as well as misinformation on the web and in print (yes, I still have my sometimes erroneous Baensch atlases...) so I like to hear about it when I am wrong. It really makes for a more interesting thread when there are friendly debates about things.

I have seen plenty of people correct advice given by others, so you must have a good track record, LOL! Keep up the good work :D

THat's good to hear actually. I was mostly wondering because I've asked for advice on some things that are gonna result in me spending HUGE amounts of money. I feel VERY comfortable about the advice I receive here, but I was curious just how yall would handle it if somebody didn't give me the right advice, haha.

Of course, I would also feel very badly if I gave someone not so good advice, but I really try not to stick my opinions where they do not belong :D :D :D

Thanks, Joshua...

Yep, Menagerie pretty much hit it right on the head. Most of this hobby is opinion oriented. And even if someone is "wrong" IMO, the polite thing to do is simply state you disagree and give your reasons to back up your statement. (because you never know when you might be wrong 8O ) The discussion that follows that should reveal if in fact there even is a right and wrong and which one it is, or if it is simply another matter of opinion. Don't be afraid to disagree with someone here and don't be afraid to be honest say, "I'm not sure but..."

That's a great point - there are a lot of ways to go about this hobby, so what works like a charm for me might not do so for someone else.

That's why some people put something to the effect of "your mileage may vary" in their sigs.

Short of "Don't fill tank with gasoline or alcohol" and "Don't boil or freeze tank" there are very few hard and fast rules. For every rule someone has, it has been broken by someone else on a regular basis.

lmao glasstapper raises his hand, i've been sent o the principals office a few times, with text, it's hard to hear tone but iv'e seen it many times when the big dogs bite and it ain't pretty,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but its all for the best end result, id rather be corrected if im wrong and thank you for that

Being polite keeps the arguments off the forum and everyone friendly. But bad advise can kill fish so we do try to correct in kindness when needed. :D

Right, fish_doc, I was raised to be polite over just about everything else (it's a Southern thing, I reckon) so I really appreciate the level of decorum maintained on this site.

There are plenty of other sites that ask you to check your manners at the door, if you want to roll up your sleeves and play dirty..... I gave that up a while ago. :D

Good question! I'm too new to give much advice (beyond "read a lot and be prepared to spend lots of money") but I think once or twice I've had someone correct me on a small factual thing. Yay for people who know more than I do.

What gets me is if someone "corrects" you but that wasn't what you meant in the first place and then you're thinking, okay, do I post again and clarify for pride's sake or just let it go? :)

Right on, I think that the majority of arguements I've seen on this site have been from mistated things, meant one thing, but didn't word it quit right. I do my best to make sure that I say what I mean, but I am only human...

Joshua...

What gets me is if someone "corrects" you but that wasn't what you meant in the first place and then you're thinking, okay, do I post again and clarify for pride's sake or just let it go?
It depends on how the thread is going, IMHO. If the thread seems to be winding down, I often let it go. However, it is easy enough to say, "Oh yes!, I agree with you. What was in my head didn't get typed as planned" Or something along those lines :wink:

just say, "sorry, that wasn't what I meant. What I was trying to say was... blah blah ...sorry for the confusion." Manors work wonders :wink: and the occasional smiley helps too :) Let's readers get the emotion you can't put in words and helps get the point across that your not being hostile. 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom