Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-28-2012, 01:01 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Cornstar Send a message via Skype™ to Cornstar
1. Doing a pwc once a week is too much, I should be doing once a month. Mysterious snails eat algae and cleans your tank so you don't have to do too much water change - LPS

1b. It takes 2 days to cycle a tank. From same LPS but different representative.

2. Add bio additives for one week to cycle your tank - LFS

3. A school of fish is at least 3 fish - LPS

Old 03-28-2012, 04:35 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxkolbe View Post
Catfish eat poop. Really just think about it, does that even make sense? My friends dad told me he went a year without cleaning his tank since his massive Pleco "just eats the poop" the n we got into an argument over whether or not a fish "just grows to the size of it's tank" that's another I don't like. Really, who comes up with these?
I was told this when I first started off ... that the catfish would take care of everything. ugh!

Old 03-28-2012, 04:37 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alia258 View Post
It was some serious issues. I hate that the only lfs I have available are petco and petsmart. You have to do homework on the fish before you go there (and I certainly didn't know that before) at least now all my fish are happy!

They do that thing where they say schooling fish do best in groups of three, but honestly theyre supposed to be in groups of 5-6 minimum. Their signs are even wrong!
I applied for a job at petsmart, and possibly going to apply to petco and I want to work in the animal departments like the fish, reptiles, hamsters and stuff. I want to to work there so I can give out advice as best as possible, I keep reading through these forums and learn more everyday. I was lead really astray when I first got my set up...... I want to change that
Old 03-28-2012, 08:19 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

1. That flushing a fish is a peaceful way to go.

2. That I can use a bottle a day of the bio starter to cycle my tank

3. That a guy can but a 4 inch goldfish / koi ( looked like both from behind him in line) and 8 mystery snails for his sons brand new uncycled 5 gal nano desk tank.

4. That a woman with an empty 10 gal can fit a baby oscar with a few gold fish in with her current stock of nano fish

5. That it's easy to buy a smaller tank , say. A beta 5 g tank. Fill it with tap water and then dump the bag into the tap water , I almost cried on this one
Old 03-28-2012, 12:16 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak

My sister had an established 30g bow front aquarium with some tetras and other community fish. And a guy at our LFS convinced her a single full grown electric yellow lab would be okay in the tank bc they will only fight with other male cichlids.... All her community fish were killed with in the first couple nights
Old 03-28-2012, 12:23 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

When I first started keeping fish, we were at a store about an hour away picking up decor. I saw a black ghost knife and fell in lovvvvvvvvvvvve. I told the employee that I had a 30 gallon community tank, would this be a good addition. He says "oh yeah, these guys are great with other fish." So, made the purchase, drove the hour home cradling the bag, put the bag in the tank to begin acclimation and figured "what the heck, I think I'll do a little research on my new friend."

Of course, you know where I'm going here. Let's see now..... okay, it'll eat all the other fish, it grows to HUMONGOUS lengths, requires a tank about 5 times larger than what I have.... oh crap. Drove an hour back to the store. Was told "they don't do returns". Had them call both the store manager and this employee up front. I explain to both what my research showed versus what I'd been told. The manager stands there worthless while the employee says "oh, well that's one of the dwarf ghost knifes, he'll be fine."

After I whacked him upside the head with some driftwood, and explained that there was NO dwarf variety of this species, I got my money back and left the store.

Ever since then, no impulse purchases and I do loads of research.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:28 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaB
When I first started keeping fish, we were at a store about an hour away picking up decor. I saw a black ghost knife and fell in lovvvvvvvvvvvve. I told the employee that I had a 30 gallon community tank, would this be a good addition. He says "oh yeah, these guys are great with other fish." So, made the purchase, drove the hour home cradling the bag, put the bag in the tank to begin acclimation and figured "what the heck, I think I'll do a little research on my new friend."

Of course, you know where I'm going here. Let's see now..... okay, it'll eat all the other fish, it grows to HUMONGOUS lengths, requires a tank about 5 times larger than what I have.... oh crap. Drove an hour back to the store. Was told "they don't do returns". Had them call both the store manager and this employee up front. I explain to both what my research showed versus what I'd been told. The manager stands there worthless while the employee says "oh, well that's one of the dwarf ghost knifes, he'll be fine."

After I whacked him upside the head with some driftwood, and explained that there was NO dwarf variety of this species, I got my money back and left the store.

Ever since then, no impulse purchases and I do loads of research.
LOL @ whacked him upside the head! Haha! Kinda like my adventure into fish. Got a 20g for my birthday, complete with fish... The fish were: 1 tiger Oscar, I Kenyi, 1 yellow Lab, 1 Firemouth, 1 ob peacock, 1 unknown cichlid, a pleco and an electric blue lobster... Oh the horror when I found this site and realized not only was my tank too small but the fish were not compatible whatsoever. Ugh. Lots of rehoming took place because they didn't accept returns either.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:30 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Freak

Saw a lady a petsmart sell a small pacu to some one who has a 20g
Old 03-28-2012, 12:31 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Forgot to mention that they didn't say n e thing about cycling... Thankfully I joined this forum and didn't kill my fish.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:35 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

I read on the Internet to keep a goldfish in a bowl only fill it half full so there is more water surface area. Oh the agony!!

Tags
fish, advice

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com