Bad fish shop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VOZIE

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can someone help. One of my local fish shops is a terrible place. I have been in there a few times and to be honest brought a few fish to rescue them from the lives they were living. I called up yesterday to see if they had any neons. The lady who worked in the shop told me that the tank of neons had been sucked in to the sump. She thought that this was funny. Can anyone advise me what can be done re this shop and who to call. Pls note I am In the UK.

I am tired of people thinking that fish do t count. They are animals that feel fear and pain too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am with you but honestly I have no idea where to start! ): what I'd do is get on google/bing/ whatever you wanna use & research people/businesses you can contact that will help you.

All I can think of is contacting the RSPCA and maybe trading standards but I think they are more for if your getting ripped off, and I agree to many people don't see fish as deserving any respect or life value

I am not in the UK, but even so, my advice is to not buy anything there. I know it's tempting to take animals out of situations you don't want them to be in, but giving a store money is the same thing as giving them your approval. It allows them to continue their practices. You can choose to not shop there though, and you recommend to your friends as well that they go to different places.

absolutangel04 said:
I am not in the UK, but even so, my advice is to not buy anything there. I know it's tempting to take animals out of situations you don't want them to be in, but giving a store money is the same thing as giving them your approval. It allows them to continue their practices. You can choose to not shop there though, and you recommend to your friends as well that they go to different places.

+1 to applying economic pressure. Contact the management and clearly, and tactfully explain what your issues are with how they run things, that they will no longer have your business and that you will be recommend that others do their business elsewhere as well. You can also post negative reviews online if you can find them up on directories that accept costumer feed back.

I'm in the uk too. They absolutangel said don't buy anything from there. Would RSPCA take action with fish though?

Yea I agree not to buy even tho you want to save them and not sure about the RSPCA they probably can't do anything but idk who else could :(

The economic route is the best one. Talk to the owner about your experience, if they don't seem interested then leave some online reviews. Word of mouth goes a long way as well. If they are truly that bad then they won't be around for long.

The economic route is the best one. Talk to the owner about your experience, if they don't seem interested then leave some online reviews. Word of mouth goes a long way as well. If they are truly that bad then they won't be around for long.

This - online reviews are effective especially if detailed with specific instances of issues to cause shoppers to pause.

Back
Top Bottom