Bad lfs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redneckgearhead

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok guys/gals gotta rant a lil!

Ok couple days ago I was in a nearby town getting some stuff for our baby thats on the way and I noticed a "pet store" that had SW fish, so me and the wife walk over to take a look and as soon as we walk in the smell of ammonia in there was so bad you could barely breath! There werent many fish in the tanks but the ones that where there looked horrible I have never seen a Yellow tang so skinny! It was truely sad!

Then on the same day, as where headin home we stop off at another "LFS" that we had never been to, just to check it out and the lady starts talking to me about our set up and asking tons of questions and then proceeds to tell me how wrong my set up is! And how I need to switch to bio-balls and yada yada yada..... I toned her out pretty quickly. I mean if your gonna give advice on aquariums atleast make sure your own tanks look decent! I would have never bought anything from this lady just because her tanks look like crap let alone take advice from her!

Yep, collectors of tropical fish must have a license to catch the fish. Pet store operators should have to do the same. There is alot of not up to par petshops selling SW fish that should not be allowed to.

Yep, collectors of tropical fish must have a license to catch the fish. Pet store operators should have to do the same. There is alot of not up to par petshops selling SW fish that should not be allowed to.

Pet shops are required to be licensed, typically through the State's Dept. of Agriculture. The rules, requirements, and fees vary by state. Just like most licensing, it's mostly formality and fees although they did come over and inspect our fish room before we were approved. I don't know the details on other states. If it was as bad as described, I'd contact your state's DoA.

The DOA has so many laws the it don't know which side is up!

some times you wonder how they stay in business.

Because of the customers, as I saw on my last trip to the LFS, who bring in little Joey for a fish, by a 3 gallon starter aquarium kit and a goldfish.

Lack of knowledge = easy sales.

Because of the customers, as I saw on my last trip to the LFS, who bring in little Joey for a fish, by a 3 gallon starter aquarium kit and a goldfish.

Lack of knowledge = easy sales.
lack of knowledge is one thing but one should even be able to tell a dirty store from a clean one.

But i have a Lfs and it's great. The fish there are as happy as larry. They even have a large collection of salt water and they are in prime condition. But then again i live in Australia so i dont know what it is like In America. I thought i would just put in my Input

There's a place in Randallstown, Maryland (Baltimore County) in the USthat is AMAZING. It used to be called the Aquarium Center but then the owner sold it to his employees and now it's called Aquarium Depot. I miss it terribly.

I want to visit Australia, too!

:(
What?! You think you're better than us?!

....so what if you are? LOL J/K

I'd love to visit Australia.
No no. I didnt mean it like that. what i mean is that there are no big chain stores like walmart and petco?
So im sorry if that offened you. I love America i have been to yellowstone, washington, Jackson hole!
Sorry again

:(
No no. I didnt mean it like that. what i mean is that there are no big chain stores like walmart and petco?
So im sorry if that offened you. I love America i have been to yellowstone, washington, Jackson hole!
Sorry again

He was just messing with you. Stores in the states are really a mixed bag, even chain stores. Some have knowledgeable people that care, and some are just out to make a buck.

He was just messing with you. Stores in the states are really a mixed bag, even chain stores. Some have knowledgeable people that care, and some are just out to make a buck.

This. No worries. :) I'd love to visit Australia. I'm sure once in the military I'll get to see many new places.

Only place I know that the toilet flushes up. Naw that was pier 1 under the bridge in Sydney..

img_1161749_0_d3bb3d802a27bb699c9d4d677f296416.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah tell me about it i live in one of the larger citys in the us and i only have 2 good stores that i know of one is aquatouch, and the other is reef culture. all the other stores r not to good sick fish, bleached corals, and one store told me not to run a fuge on my tank cuz it will produse nitrogen bubbles i have never hurd of that

Yea Ive been given so much "advice" from the different LFS around here. I always look to their tanks before I even consider their advice. It seems that the ones with the most advice have the worst tanks.

Back
Top Bottom