Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-08-2005, 11:49 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
hey I'm all for the breast feeding thing.

Old 06-08-2005, 11:54 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Rach101
Seriously!
Whats worse to see, a mother caring for her adorable baby.
Or a baby screaming its head off because they are hungry?
If you don't like it you can merely move away from the woman,
Id rather see a womans breast fully exposed even then hearing a poor little baby screaming its lungs out because its hungry and the woman cant feed the baby yet.

Old 06-09-2005, 09:10 AM   #13
cJw
Aquarium Advice FINatic

To put it simply, some people are stupid. :|

Actually, ignorant would be a more appropriate word.
6 gold barbs
3 peppered cory cats
1 'maldito' cory cats=
1 yoyo loach
1 clown pleco
6 ghost shrimp

There are no coincidences.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:24 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cJw
To put it simply, some people are stupid. :|

Actually, ignorant would be a more appropriate word.
IMO, "ignorant" is someone who does not know the facts. "Stupid" is someone who refuses to acknowledge the facts or take the necessary steps to learn them.

So, in the case of this thread, both may be correct, although I suspect many people just do not want to be bothered with the facts.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of Liberty -JFK
Old 06-09-2005, 09:34 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you don't wanna see a woman breast feed her baby....don't stare at her in awe when she does.

Some solutions are so simple.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:14 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ahhh... I can feel my blood boiling right now...
I nursed my daughter for three years. I refused to hide to feed her, although I will add that after about 1 1/2 years I stopped nursing her in public. To nurse my daughter it was so handy. The milk was always warm, I never had to sterilize a bottle, I lost very little sleep because we had a family bed, and she knew how to find it on her own without waking anyone up.
The US is the only country that it is customary to ween an infant before 6 months. Does anyone know the world wide average age of weening a child??? (Last I checked) It was 6 years old... SIX!!! Some civilizations will nurse up to 9! That seems a little excessive to me, but to each their own.
While I nursed, the major problem I had was WOMEN! The men dont care, and I am not even sure they ever knew that there was a child being nursed, unless they had been around it before and then what do they care. The most grief I received was from older women, There would be little whispers as they walked by, *ewww...yuck.... why cant she do that at home* *That baby is to old to be doing that... thats just wrong*

As has been said already... what about all the skin we are seeing on TV.... Well forget TV, when is the last time anyone went to the mall.... How about these overweight teens, wearing the hip huggers and the too short shirts. they have 5 inches of fat hanging out from under the shirt... but no one is having a problem with that!!!????

It makes me wish I was still lactating... I would be right along with the nurse in.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:28 AM   #17
cJw
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
IMO, "ignorant" is someone who does not know the facts. "Stupid" is someone who refuses to acknowledge the facts or take the necessary steps to learn them.
You're absolutely right - iirc, those defs are fairly close to the dictionary ones.

fyi, my wife's a labor and delivery nurse, and we had our daughter a little over a year ago, so I'm fairly well versed in this (whether I wanted to be or not ).

Ignorant being the right term in this sense, most women (and men), especially those who grew up before the 'breastfeeding boom' in the 70s, don't know the true benefits of breastfeeding - immune system benefits, emotional benefits, even an increase in IQ of 10 points or more - but instead were brainwashed by the media into using formula due to ease of use (psyeah!) and supposed health benefits. There are still many societies today who still adhere to this false truth for whatever reason.

Fat hanging out from under a too small tee is much more offensive, imho, than the excessive b00b than is shown on the television 90% of the day. :|
6 gold barbs
3 peppered cory cats
1 'maldito' cory cats=
1 yoyo loach
1 clown pleco
6 ghost shrimp

There are no coincidences.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:41 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
Quote:
they have 5 inches of fat hanging out from under the shirt... but no one is having a problem with that!!!????
Thanks for ruining my appetite. I think it's part of the "be happy with who you are for a better self image" campaign gone too far. There are too many people wearing tight clothes that just shouldn't. I know, I know, it's their right to wear whatever they want. But it's my right to say "Cover that fat up. You're frightening my children."

I'll see if I can find that commercial. I'll post a link when I do.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:16 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think its gross when these girls have all the fat hanging out... but I am still not bashing them. If thats what they want to wear, thats fine. I still think its gross, but I am also not going to scream about it and demand they build rooms where they can flaunt their fat. If I see it I just turn away. I always have my camera with me wherever I go. I have thought more then once... just take the pic of her from behind, and show her what she looks like from the back side. Then I would RUN!!! I know I could outrun her....
The last thing I want to sound like is that I am critizing all people that may have a few more pounds then they are supposed to. I am not. There are plenty of ways we all can dress to look good, neat & tidy, without having rolls hanging out. Buying clothes that fit would be a start for some of these girls I am talking about. I am getting off topic... I am so sorry. I am really bad at that sort of thing. But I feel it all ties together... SOMETHING is going to offend SOMEONE. Its just absurd that someone as well educated and professional as Barbera would condemn something as natural as breastfeeding. She only stated that it creeped her out. There are alot of things that creep me out... but I am not going to talk to the world about them.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:12 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, breastfeeding for at least one year does reduce the amount of fat cells a baby has, thus putting them less at risk for obesity later in life, so I guess that ties the bf and fat topics together. LOL

Tags
barb

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com