Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Forgot to tell you all you have to do is if its crossing, move it to the side it is heading, if you put it back on the side he is coming from he'll usually just try crossing again. Suning can be tricky, mostly we just try to move them back a ways off the road but on the same side. You don't have to give em a road trip as you can actually get them lost from their territory... but you get an A+ for your messy yet heroic deed!

Old 11-02-2012, 08:47 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, back to the original post. Is the owl a local bird or is it migrating? If it's local, then you may have a new neighbor. You can try wind Chimes or other noise makers. The netting over the pond is a good start.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:14 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetra1990 View Post
Ok, back to the original post. Is the owl a local bird or is it migrating? If it's local, then you may have a new neighbor. You can try wind Chimes or other noise makers. The netting over the pond is a good start.
Those owls are indigenous but usually stay out from the city/county. I'm in my 50's and have never seen one other than in country areas. Yet I do know males will often leave their territory and even mate during the colder months to find food. But something about that one makes me think he was young, like maybe this years hatch. I think had it been an older adult it would have gone for a fish in a minute not stayed there an hour looking. I haven't seen it again but that doesn't mean anything. We have all types of predatory birds, even seen some on the property in the trees. We've had barn and great horned owls, red tail hawks, and an occassional kestrel. Even had a couple winters we had sharp shin hawks hunting birds in our yard. Just never had a fish eater before. Makes a person kind of nervous when you've got multiple ponds. We actually have chimes in a tree close to where it was at. I'm just hoping it was passing through, but if not we'll just have to deal with it and figure out how to protect the shallow end of the big pond.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:24 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercats
Forgot to tell you all you have to do is if its crossing, move it to the side it is heading, if you put it back on the side he is coming from he'll usually just try crossing again. Suning can be tricky, mostly we just try to move them back a ways off the road but on the same side. You don't have to give em a road trip as you can actually get them lost from their territory... but you get an A+ for your messy yet heroic deed!
Since your familiar with the area, highway 185 that leads from potosi to Sullivan. The turtles are super common on MO highways. I have an aunt on the hill who had 3 common, I assume box turtles living in her yard, it's a small maybe 6X15 or 20 area where they garden. They have been there for years and she feeds them veggies every morning. My uncle kept them in the house before she moved in. 4 years ago my grandpa passed, he had a turtle who lived in my basement for 30+ years my 50+ year old dad remembers the turtle 'Warson' from when he was about 10 yrs old. So he was at least 35 we released him far off the highway in southern mo. I wish we had kept him but we figured it was time for him to have a normal turtle life good for your daughter and you.

Tags
pond

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com