Beach studying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Samzter

Aquarium Advice Addict
Since I literally live about two minutes away from a beach, I thought it would be a good idea to check out the fish. I went to the beach last summer and I always find this goby looking fish. I have the whole weekend to study them and try and identify them. I live in the uk by the way, so the sea isn't that warm! Anyone else do anytjing similar on their beach trips?

I do this every time I go. I'm not scuba certified yet, so I'm the one snorkeling in the shallow water with a net that's way too slow to catch anything. I actually just got back from a beach trip, found and ID'd some moon snails, mushroom jellies, cardinal fish, and plenty of sharks. The water was cloudier than usual due to storms. And the fish were fast.

I search the shore for cool and interesting things, the coolest thing I've found is a sea sponge, I've found tons of shells, jellyfish, and once I even found a baby shark that was beached and I set him free needless to say I didn't go in the water the whole rest of the day...

I do this too. I'll look for butterfly fish and once I saw a blue boxfish

You are so lucky to live in hawaii, there are soo many cool fish and inverts out there. When I was there I saw a bunch of baby convict tangs in a tide pool, and held a sea urchin lol

What kind of butterflies do you see there? I've only seen aurigas, raccoons and milletseed.

We have thread fins, millet seeds, long noses, heniochus, and raccoon butterflies. I might have left out a few species

I'm from Oahu. We also have soldier fish, achiles tangs, convict tangs, sergant majors, snowflake eels and I found some pistol and mantis shrimps

No I found/ encountered these fish in fairly shallow water. Today while exploring a near by river, I saw a pair of cyprinids that might be rosy barbs

No I found/ encountered these fish in fairly shallow water. Today while exploring a near by river, I saw a pair of cyprinids that might be rosy barbs

You are so lucky!! I'd literally spend all my time in the water looking at fish

Only downside to living in hawaii is you can't get cool fish like freshwater rays, polypterus, crystal red shrimp, or pike cichlids

All those organisms are illegal. They pose a threat to native fish that live far from humans. A few places on Oahu have fish that people release like convicts, corydoras, managuense cichlids, green terrors, bala sharks, plecos, and electric blue African cichlids

I love doing that I test the salinity of the coast of the Carolina's I go around the bay and use a landing net to see shrimps, minnows, blennys and so much more and i live only 2 hours away from any beach!

Back
Top Bottom