Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-24-2011, 12:20 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Talking Bearded Dragon

Hey everyone, I have been wanting to get a bearded dragon for nearly two years. My dad has always hated all kinds of reptiles so I figured I couldn't get one for another 6-10 years when I move out. Thats how serious I was about wanting one. Turns out my dad let my sister get a panther chameleon. That was about one month ago. Last thursday, I found an awesome deal on craigslist; a 55gal tank for $20. On friday I bought it. The guy I got it from got it second hand. He said he filled it up with water and it flooded his second floor. I may not get a bearded dragon until fall because I'm short on money. I'm one of those 14 year-olds who want a job really badly, but can't get one. I occasionally babysit for my little sister's friend's little brothers, but thats it. That's why I'm going to save up my money all summer, do everything I can and more, and I may be able to get a bearded dragon by autumn. Maybe earlier if I'm lucky. Bearded dragons are the entire reason I even got in this hobby. And I got into it on accident. My brother and I were walking home from school when we saw a 30 gallon tank full of stuff sitting on the curb with a free sign on it. When it was home my family negotiated what/when/how we would set it up. Of corse I got my hopes up that I may be able to use it for a beardie, but because the tank was full of aquarium stuff, I knew that trying to get my family to let me use it for a lizard instead of an aquarium would end up as one vs. five; the one being me. I decided to keep my mouth shut. It wasn't until the night after the tank was set up I got a good idea: Even though I was mad at the aquarium and didn't like it I was going to prove that I was responsible enough to take care of a bearded dragon by learning as much as I could about aquariums and take complete care of the family tank. a month later I developed MTS. We got the tank around November last year and I have beaded dragons to thank for giving me my share of the disease. Now I finally get one and I am more excited than I've ever been. Thanks for reading this, for the first time in my life I lost track of time while writing something. One more thing, I'm going to be using this tread as a journal for my beardie. I look forward to any personal tips from people who have a bearded dragon. I've learned so much from all of the research I've done over the past two years, but there is always something else to know.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:10 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Beardies are great reps and very personable. I used to keep 3 and bred them for a few years. If you can get a good deal on a red, that'd be my suggestion. Like fish, lots of research is good and make sure your family is OK with crickets and grubs in the house, because that's the food of choice. Pinks are a delicacy, but I'll let you google that one for more info lol.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I kept a bearded dragon for 9.5 years. Unfortunately I hit a really hard spot in life and had to give him away at that time but I really loved having him! They are the best lizards if you ask me.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm going to use this thread as my bearded dragon journal, but I might not have anything to post for a while.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:25 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I for one will be looking for updates

Wish I could get another, but my GF says we have enough pets lol.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I will update as soon as can which is when I start getting supplies.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:12 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

thats great news.try and handle it fairly often when its young,so its not afraid of you.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:25 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What I'm afraid of is handling it too much.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:28 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

yeah,that could stress it out.but its a lot easier to move them if they arent trying to gouge holes in your hand.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:37 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I heard that when you first get a bearded dragon it's a good idea to tape paper on the outside walls of the tank and take off one sheet a day to reduce the stress of moving. Have you heard of this?

Tags
dragon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com