Bearded Dragon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RamCichlidLover

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey everyone, I have been wanting to get a bearded dragon for nearly two years. My dad has always hated all kinds of reptiles so I figured I couldn't get one for another 6-10 years when I move out. Thats how serious I was about wanting one. Turns out my dad let my sister get a panther chameleon. That was about one month ago. Last thursday, I found an awesome deal on craigslist; a 55gal tank for $20. On friday I bought it. The guy I got it from got it second hand. He said he filled it up with water and it flooded his second floor. I may not get a bearded dragon until fall because I'm short on money. I'm one of those 14 year-olds who want a job really badly, but can't get one. I occasionally babysit for my little sister's friend's little brothers, but thats it. That's why I'm going to save up my money all summer, do everything I can and more, and I may be able to get a bearded dragon by autumn. Maybe earlier if I'm lucky. Bearded dragons are the entire reason I even got in this hobby. And I got into it on accident. My brother and I were walking home from school when we saw a 30 gallon tank full of stuff sitting on the curb with a free sign on it. When it was home my family negotiated what/when/how we would set it up. Of corse I got my hopes up that I may be able to use it for a beardie, but because the tank was full of aquarium stuff, I knew that trying to get my family to let me use it for a lizard instead of an aquarium would end up as one vs. five; the one being me. I decided to keep my mouth shut. It wasn't until the night after the tank was set up I got a good idea: Even though I was mad at the aquarium and didn't like it I was going to prove that I was responsible enough to take care of a bearded dragon by learning as much as I could about aquariums and take complete care of the family tank. a month later I developed MTS. We got the tank around November last year and I have beaded dragons to thank for giving me my share of the disease. Now I finally get one and I am more excited than I've ever been. Thanks for reading this, for the first time in my life I lost track of time while writing something. One more thing, I'm going to be using this tread as a journal for my beardie. I look forward to any personal tips from people who have a bearded dragon. I've learned so much from all of the research I've done over the past two years, but there is always something else to know.

Beardies are great reps and very personable. I used to keep 3 and bred them for a few years. If you can get a good deal on a red, that'd be my suggestion. Like fish, lots of research is good and make sure your family is OK with crickets and grubs in the house, because that's the food of choice. Pinks are a delicacy, but I'll let you google that one for more info lol.

I kept a bearded dragon for 9.5 years. Unfortunately I hit a really hard spot in life and had to give him away at that time but I really loved having him! They are the best lizards if you ask me.

thats great news.try and handle it fairly often when its young,so its not afraid of you.

yeah,that could stress it out.but its a lot easier to move them if they arent trying to gouge holes in your hand.

I heard that when you first get a bearded dragon it's a good idea to tape paper on the outside walls of the tank and take off one sheet a day to reduce the stress of moving. Have you heard of this?

i havent heard of this,but when i got mine i did 0 research.it cant hurt.

Your sister has a CHAMELEON!? Tell me more lol! I begged my dad to let me get a sugar glider<3, but he never let me. Im going to get one when I move out when I'm older.

Dylan5359 said:
Your sister has a CHAMELEON!? Tell me more lol! I begged my dad to let me get a sugar glider<3, but he never let me. Im going to get one when I move out when I'm older.

I have six sugar gliders. They are a lot of work but they are fun once they bond with you but it may take a while. I had one glider take 2 years to bond with me. I still cant pick her up but she will crawl all over me. Do lots and lots of research. Especially on their diets.

furrymurray said:
I have six sugar gliders. They are a lot of work but they are fun once they bond with you but it may take a while. I had one glider take 2 years to bond with me. I still cant pick her up but she will crawl all over me. Do lots and lots of research. Especially on their diets.

I can't tell you how much I read. I printed out a whole sugar glider Manuel and studied it. Lol

RamCichlidLover said:
Thats hilarious because my sister was going to get a sugar glider but got a chameleon instead.

Wow! LOL. Should of went with the sugar glider they are adorable and amazing.! What size tank does she keep the chameleon in?

Lol. I kind of want a chameleon now, I could keep it in my garage!

If you do get a sugar glider i would recommed getting at least two because they are colony animals and get stressed if they dont get plenty of human attention. Btw they do sleep all day and play all night so they arent much fun until the sun goes down

You could change your sugar gliders sleeping habits to match your own, even if they usually are nocturnal. I doubt I will be getting one any time soon anyway. Back on topic, sorry for hijacking. :)

Back
Top Bottom