Belo Monte Dam!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bruinsbro1997

Aquarium Advice Addict
Brazil is planning on making a dam that will block the Xingu, one of the Amazon's major tributaries!
Belo Monte dam
Belo Monte Dam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
AMAZON WATCH » Stop the Belo Monte Monster Dam
Not only will it affect the indigenous people and flood the rainforest, it can also seriously affect the fish that live there! Popular Amazon species that we love in our aquariums-tetras, hatchetfish, angels-could all be affected and the population could seriously decline! The blocking of this tributary could change the Amazon forever...

What do you think? What's your opinion on the matter, and do you think that the pros outway the cons?

From our point of view, living in North America, there is no pro, only con. The damage done may indeed be tremendous, and not just to our hobby, but to the eco system of the entire area. For us to it here discussing on the internet how other countries should conduct there affairs, while a large portion of the population lives in poverty is a little presumptuous. However, we do need to think globally, as what happens there will affect us in many ways. We need to, as a country of haves, offer some realistic alternative to what they are doing, that will allow the same financial benefit, since the entire rest of the worlds is being affected by destruction of the rainforest.

You gotta look at it from their perspective. There will always be those against it, but there are pro's as well. Ultimately, my opinion doesn't matter, as I have no input to this project.... but I see it no differently than big shopping centers taking up farmland.... it's going to benefit everyone, even though I'm very big on farming operations.

Back
Top Bottom