Betta and Catfish Together??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nala325

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Okay so about a month ago I was given a Betta fish at the Pet Store I work at and he has been in his own, small, 5.5 gallon tank since then.

Later on, I saw there was a clearance on a very large 20G tank, so I went ahead and purchased the tank kit which came with a heater, filter, etc.
I bought two baby raphael catfish to start the tank off. I DO realize these catfish are going to get larger, and plan to upgrade their tank in the future.

Anyways, I was wondering if I could put my betta with my catfish or if that's a bad idea? I read many posts saying its ok...but here's why I wanted to make my own post:

Awhile back my coworker told me I could add some leopard cory's to my betta tank (the 5.5G one) When I did that, my Betta nearly killed them within the first 30 minutes. Upon seeing that I removed them and returned them.

Was that just because he had already become territorial over his 5.5G tank? If I added him to this 20G tank where the catfish are already adjusted, will he be less likely to be AS territorial as he was in his tank?

I've heard Bettas are less likely to attack if they are added to a tank of other established fish, rather than adding fish to a Betta tank.
Or is mine just too aggressive and should be left out of the other tank?:confused:

Bettas are naturally territorial.

If he wants to pick fights I'd just keep him removed.

Caleb

I'd just keep him in the 5.5 if it's set up right. It's own little territory with nothing to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom